The position is organizationally known as the Deputy Chief of Police and reports to the Chief of Police. The position has delegated authority and responsibility to assist the Chief to manage and direct Police operations. The position is responsible for assisting the Chief with the operation, direction, and control of the law enforcement and physical security activities of a Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) or Health Care System (HCS).Learn more about this agency
Major duties include but not limited too:
- Develops programs to alter the behavior of employees whose work performance is below acceptable standards.
- Submits reports to justify increases in department personnel to the executive leadership team and/or resource board/committee; evaluates resumes of prospective candidates to determine qualifications; and chairs/conducts performance-based interviews to assist in selecting appropriate candidates.
- Develops 24/7 duty schedules; plans and directs facility law enforcement and security operations; delegates enforcement to subordinate staff; assigns patrol and special duties to supervisory police officers; and ensures patrol coverage complies with agency policy and meets facility protection priorities.
- Ensures new employees are properly oriented and familiarized with applicable policies and procedures.
- Ensures that all training requirements by VA are met for Police Service staff and that performance proficiency meets the goals of the Medical Center and the service.
- Explores training opportunities for staff to improve or enhance delivery of services and increase officers' cultural competencies.
- Ensures police staff are properly trained to operate a variety of equipment and/or security systems such as but not limited to: evidence collection, weapons, emergency vehicles, radio communications, intrusion detection and video surveillance networks.
- Development of local policies and implements corrective procedures to alleviate identified physical security problems, taking into consideration all internal, as well as external factors when making decisions or recommendations concerning law enforcement and physical security to the VHA, VBA or NCA Facility Director.
- Responsible for assisting in the development of the physical security plans and objectives and for collaborating on behalf of the Chief in producing Medical Center policies which address the full scope of the facility's law enforcement and security program.
Work Schedule: ROTATING SHIFT, NIGHTS, WEEKENDS, HOLIDAYS
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Supervisory Security Officer/PD000000
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Relocation available
Permanent Change of Station (PCS): N/A
PCS Appraised Value Offer (AVO): N/A
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/613938200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.