The Surgical Health Technician works under the supervision on the Chief of Podiatry and is assigned to the Podiatry Outpatient Clinic in Chico, California, which is part of Department of Surgery.Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Position Description Title/PD#: Surgical Technician/00748A
Promotion Potential GS-7: May be promoted to the full performance level without competition only when all regulatory/qualification/performance requirements are met. Promotion is not guaranteed.
- Provides direct patient care to a selected patient population requiring wound care dressing changes, casts, braces, and splints in the OPC treating locations (Surgical Clinics and Surgical Procedure rooms);
- Works under the general supervision of the Chief, Podiatry Section, which has in-excess of 28,000 patient encounters per year, to include direct and indirect support;
- Provides assistance of a technical, specialized, or support nature to health and medical personnel in the diagnosis and treatment of patient illnesses or medical conditions and procedures;
- Sets up and assists Podiatric surgeons and other providers in the performance of treatments and procedures following aseptic technical to include minor surgical procedures;
- Reviews patient charts for verification of identity and proper documentation including surgical consent following site and procedure verification process;
- Setups of equipment for all procedures including excisional biopsies, tissue removal, incisions and drainage of abscesses, and amputations;
- During these procedures, incumbent is responsible for the proper functioning of the equipment used during the process and through procedure completion;
- Demonstrates familiarity with routine clinic and departmental procedures and performs certain basic nursing functions.
- Performs standard diagnostic tests or procedures;
- Assures proper stock levels and care of all instruments used in the Podiatry clinic;
- Cleans and replaces all surgical equipment;
- Notifies appropriate staff of test/procedure results and ensures they are made part of the medical record;
- Ensures proper cleanup and disposal after contaminated procedures.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/608408800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.