This position is located in Police Services. The primary purpose of the position is to monitor physical security equipment and systems.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Assess on-scene behavior and determines when it is appropriate to dispatch law enforcement or other personnel to investigate.
- Responsible for responding to alarm systems monitoring fire, access, intrusion, duress/panic, medical emergencies, psychiatric emergencies, medical assist teams, etc.; and emergency digital paging system.
- Monitor emergency weather alerts and transmits warnings system wide when appropriate.
- Maintain radio/alarm activity records/logs to include dates, times, and results of communications and activities and prepares completed reports. Performs and documents emergency callbacks when necessary.
- Tracks critical information and reports findings to the supervisor.
- Implement policies, procedures, and methods for identifying and protecting information, personnel, property, facilities, operations, or material.
- Operate an established vehicle registration and visitor management program and parking registration and/or photo identification equipment.
- The position monitors and receives routine and emergency calls from a variety of sources that need police, fire, medical or other emergency services.
- Determine the nature and location of the emergency; prioritizes events and commits police resources appropriately; determines what notifications are necessary based upon event type, makes such notifications and coordinates follow-up communications.
- Receive and process emergency calls, maintains contact with law enforcement units on assignment, maintains status and location of Police Officers and coordinates communication between agencies as needed.
- Answer non-emergency calls for assistance.
- Monitor and directs responses to security and life safety communications, radio dispatches, telephone calls, and other emergency communication circuits. Receives and compiles information from various sources related to police and emergency incidents, taking appropriate actions regarding intrusion, duress, and hold-up alarms.
- Direct response and/or modifies responsible personnel depending on the type of incident or request. Coordinates with various federal, state and local law enforcement officials for coordination of emergency situations.
- Responsible for the orderly flow of communications between the police dispatch center, agency leadership and the work force.
- Operate a variety of communications and security equipment, such as computers, multi-frequency radios, multi-line telephone system, and other related peripherals.
- Perform system checks on a variety of equipment used in the dispatch center.
- Troubleshoot systems when problems arise and resolves issues whenever possible.
- Performs monthly alarm checks, submits reports documenting the operational status of each circuit tested. Initiates work orders for malfunctioning circuits and equipment.
- Enters, updates and retrieves information from a variety of computer systems and sensitive databases.
- Uses state and the National Crime Information Computer (NCIC) to access sensitive law enforcement information to support field operations and investigations.
- Queries for items such as criminal histories, arrest warrants, drivers record, vehicle registration, stolen property, firearms, etc.
- Enters or updates regional and national records and/or messages to support recovery of stolen property or missing/endangered persons. Gathers and relays applicable information to law enforcement personnel in the field.
- Uses the VA Police Software to research information, complete reports and logs, vehicle registrations, etc.
- Coordinates warrant confirmations and transports with outside agencies.
- Coordinates health and welfare checks with outside law enforcement agencies.
- Completes vehicle registration tasks and issues decals and permits as authorized by policy.
- Establishes proper tracking of parking/traffic violators and reports habitual offenders to the supervisor for additional action. Establishes and maintains physical files of parking/traffic violators.
- Gathers information and completes reports when local incidents rise to the level requiring notification to the VA Integrated Operations Center.
Position Description Title/PD#: Security Assistant (Dispatcher)/ 99858-S
Bargaining Unit: Yes
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not required
Per AFGE Master Agreement: First consideration will go to qualified current permanent employees of VA Northern Indiana Health Care System. Second consideration will go to all other qualified current permanent employees of Department of Veteran's Affairs. Third and final consideration will go to all other qualified public applicants.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607554700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.