OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?Learn more about this agency
ResponsibilitiesThis position is located in the Dental Department of Clinical Support Services in the VA Northern Indiana Healthcare Center in Marion Indiana. The VA Northern Indiana's Dental Assistant will be responsible and accountable for providing comprehensive oral health care within the established guidelines of an Expanded Function Dental Assistant.
The incumbent serves at the above full performance level with the ability to provide independent and expert dental procedures as well as providing clinical assistance to the treating dentists in more complex procedural cases. The expanded function dental assistant has an increased depth and breadth of dental practice skills, and has mastered a range of dental procedures and interventions and provides direct patient care within the scope of practice. Examples of procedures may be diagnostic, restorative and/or surgical in nature.
The expanded function dental assistant will make independent professional decisions and recommendations to the treating dentist and interdisciplinary care teams. The expanded functional dental assistant has the expertise to participate in the professional development of colleagues through mentorship and teaching.
Clinical Expanded Functions duties above comprise at least 25% of and responsibilities at this level include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluates patient medical record to determine current health status and preoperative dental needs.
- Performs oral examinations and dental charting.
- Removes and places temporary fillings and crowns.
- Performs minor adjustments of the tissue surface of complete removable dental prostheses.
- Communicates treatment outcomes and expectations with dental and/or treatment team.
- Fabricates provisional crowns and bridges.
- Fabricates baseplates, jaw relation rims, and final impression trays.
- Pours both standard and bubble free impressions.
- Trims and articulates models.
- Performs denture prophylaxis.
- Provides complete and accurate documentation of all patient treatment.
- Orders and maintains equipment/supplies required for patient treatment.
- Assists in training new employees on use of the computer and trains other staff as needed.
Work Schedule: The tour of duty for this position is typically, Monday-Friday, 7:45am to 4:30pm (Marion). (Schedule may change based on the needs of the service). Additional information may be provided during interview process.
Compressed/Flexible Schedule: Not Available
Telework: Not available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Functional Statement/FS #: Dental Assistant (Clinical Expanded Function)/#91091-A
Service Line: Dental Service
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
PCS/Relocation Allowances: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Drug Testing: All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a drug testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with the VA. In addition, any offer of employment will be rescinded with a verified positive drug test. VA employees in drug testing designated positions are also subject to post appointment random drug testing.
Physical Requirements. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position to conduct site visits, inspections and/or training.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/606865400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.