As a SURFACE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC, WG-5801-10, you will perform maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, inspection, and/or overhaul of a variety of combat, tactical, commercial, and special purpose vehicles and equipment.
(1) Troubleshoots, performs maintenance and major repairs on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles. This may include self-propelled artillery, tracked cargo and personnel carriers, road graders, mobile cranes, front loaders, conveyors, bulldozers, power shovels, compressors, generators, tanks, tracked combat vehicles, sedans, buses, all terrain vehicles, trucks, semi trailers, forklifts, tractors, and accessory equipment. Troubleshoots, repairs and overhauls major systems to include internal combustion engines, turbine engines, automatic and non-automatic transmissions, heavy duty drive line systems, and hydraulic utility systems and controls. Makes repairs to assemblies and components such as voltage regulators, generators/alternators, brake cylinders, etc. Performs work in accordance with modification work orders, technical manuals, lubrication orders, maintenance bulletins, regulations or management policies. May repair a variety of more complex major systems to include engines, cross drive or similar multi-system transmissions and a variety of intricate fuel injection systems.
(2) Troubleshoots equipment and diagnoses the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges, and computer diagnostic tools. Utilizes embedded diagnostics in equipment and a wide variety of original equipment manufacturer system analyzers in order to determine the exact nature or extent of repair. Determines what adjustments may be necessary to complete work orders, and whether any additional repairs other than those specified or indicated on the work order are necessary.
(3) Removes and disassembles engines and major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, and fuel, hydraulic, and oil pressure systems. Makes the appropriate repairs, overhaul, or modifications in accordance with the proper repair specifications and procedures. Reassembles engines and other systems, and adjusts, tests, and reinstalls in vehicles and equipment as necessary. Makes adjustments and repairs to electrical and suspension systems. May install pistons, sleeves, rings, bearings, rods, crankshafts, timing gears, and rocker arms. May be required to perform fuel injection equipment repair, overhaul, rebuild, and calibration duties utilizing a variety of complex test and calibration equipment.
(4) Independently performs repairs and maintenance functions in remote locations that can be accomplished by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, or replacing defective parts of components and systems such as injectors, leaking wheel cylinders, corroded mufflers, fuel tanks, brake cylinders and worn brake shoes, voltage regulators, generators, injector pumps, and fuel pumps. Provides technical guidance and specialized team leadership to lower grade employees within the team. Assists lower grade mechanics in performing major repair work. May provide Field and limited Sustainment maintenance at unit locations as part of a "contact team." Recovers and evacuates inoperable vehicles from the unit location of breakdown. May assist higher graded mechanics in repairing a variety of interconnected systems such as electrical, air and hydraulic systems, complex state of the art electrical and electronic systems that use specialized diagnostic equipment to identify problems, complex fuel injection systems and other similar complex systems.
(5) Conducts readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity. Performs operational inspections and ensures vehicles and equipment are properly serviced, including brake adjustments, replacing hydraulic fluids, greasing, cleaning, etc., and performs other preventive maintenance operations as required. Inspects supported equipment prior to use during Inactive Duty Training (IDT) and Annual Training (AT), to ensure that it is functioning properly. May inspect in-process repair work of lower graded repairer to ensure equipment is being repaired in accordance with pertinent requirements. May serve as a commodity inspector during Command Maintenance Management evaluations (COMET) or as a member of a Maintenance Assistance Instruction Team (MAIT). Instructs operator/crew in the maintenance of equipment and provides technical advice and assistance to supported units when requested.
(6) Performs other duties as assigned.
Details of the duties and responsibilities are contained in the applicable position description located online, on the FASCLASS website. https://acpol2.army.mil/fasclass/search_fs/search_fasclass.asp
Conditions of Employment
Military Grades: E1-E7
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & NOTES:
1. Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
2. This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
3. Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
4. May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
5. The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
6. Wear of the military uniform is MANDATORY.
7. In accordance with Presidential Executive Order 14043, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated prior to their entry on duty (start) date of employment. Fully vaccinated is defined as two (2) weeks following the second dose of Moderna and Comirnaty/Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccines or two (2) weeks following the first (only) dose of the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen Vaccine. If selected for the position, proof of vaccine is required prior to effective date of hire/start date. Proof of vaccine includes a copy of the COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card, medical records documenting the vaccination, immunization records from a public health or state immunization information system, or any other official documentation containing required data points [type of vaccine administered, lot #, date(s) of administration and the name of the health care professional(s) or clinic site(s) administering the vaccine(s)]. This guidance is provided under an emergency use authority.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
MILITARY MEMBERS WITH BONUSES: Upon acceptance of a military technician position military members who are currently receiving a military Reenlistment/Extension Bonus (REB) or GI Bill-SR Kicker may lose incentive eligibility and may be subject to termination or suspension of incentive (includes indefinite and temporary technicians on assignment for more than 180 days in any continuous 12-month period).
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and is able to use common tools and equipment in the line of work.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have 18 months of experience or training diagnosing, repairing, overhauling, and modifying more complex vehicles, equipment, and more complicated systems. Experience which has provided a thorough knowledge of diagnostic equipment. Experience applying independent judgment in determining methods and techniques required to solve unusually complex maintenance and repair problems. Experienced in testing, inspecting, and evaluating the work performed on vehicles, equipment and systems.
If your resume does not include a narrative description of how you meet the GENERAL, SPECIALIZED experiences, and OTHER requirements, you may lose consideration for this position. Ensure that the Questionnaire is completed online in Application Manager.
NOTES TO CANDIDATES:
a. Situations of inversion of military rank are not permitted, i.e., a military technician may not be militarily senior to his or her full-time supervisor.
b. Candidates may be screened and evaluated on military attributes directly related to the compatible military position required to be assigned into, such as, but not limited to, military bearing, leadership, or ability to work with others (teamwork) in a military environment.
c. Include any volunteer work experience in your resume. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social).
d. Final selection will be based upon qualifications, suitability, and available manpower resources.
e. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
f. Multiple vacancies may be filled from this announcement.
g. If this announcement results in a temporary promotion for the selectee, it may become permanent at any time without further competition dependent on funding and manpower requirements.
No substitution of education for specialized experience.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11735785~
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.