In addition to the basic requirements, to qualify for this position you must have at least one year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level (GG-13) in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE is defined as experience that has equipped the candidate with knowledge and understanding of the applicable IT laws, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidance regarding IT/IM including the Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002, the E-Government Act of 2002, Federal Information Technology Acquisition Reform Act (FITARA), and Clinger Cohen Act; broad and thorough knowledge and practical experience with information technologies and implementation.
Individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
1. Knowledge and understanding of functional responsibilities, authorities, and official relationships within a Federal agency.
(EXAMPLE: Describe relevant work experience that demonstrates ability to understand and work across organizational boundaries and successfully coordinate completion of major projects. Discuss experience dealing with senior agency management and commission related offices that demonstrates ability to understand IT/IM roles and responsibilities and both informal and formal communications protocols. Describe relevant experience that demonstrates or supports your ability to represent the agency effectively in dealing agency related offices with outside organizations and professionally representing the positions of your organization
2. Knowledge of and experience with planning, budgeting and performance management process for IT/IM within an Agency, board, commission, and/or department level.
(Example: Describe your experience, education and training related to IT/IM budget formulation, budget execution, funds accounting and operating plan processes. Describe your experience preparing estimates of current and future staff and fiscal resource needs, including your approach to monitoring and tracking office resources.)
3. Ability to effectively communicate information, ideas, and advice in a clear, concise, and logical manner, with staff members, management officials, and internal and external stakeholders which may include Federal and/or State agencies.
(EXAMPLE: Describe specific experience, training, and accomplishments which demonstrate communication skills and your ability to: use formal and informal networks to build support for programs; lead complex discussions and consolidate complex and diverse opinions into concise, balanced, and well-founded recommendations; and establish effective work relationships with management, peers, government and industry officials with diverse backgrounds to foster solutions to problems and issues. Describe how you have established appropriate lead times to allow input from management and others in order to ensure that comments are resolved in a collaborative and constructive manner. Describe the kinds of oral and written presentations you have made (include the various audiences and level of the audience.)
4. Analytical ability to plan, organize and perform a variety of IT program and administrative management functions and activities involving competing priorities and deadlines.
Describe the types, scope and complexity of IT/IM activities and programs you have supported. Provide specific examples of the types of analyses, evaluations, and studies you have performed, including the purpose, complexity and results of your analyses. Describe your role in planning, organizing and performing multi disciplinary activities or programs, including developing milestones and monitoring work in progress for IT projects and programs. Provide examples of experience initiating, developing, or recommending new or changed practices and procedures to improve the level of IT/IM service, program effectiveness, or efficiency of your organization or program. Provide specific examples and accomplishments that demonstrate your ability to accomplish work assignments and projects, with competing priorities and deadlines, within the prescribed time frames.)
5. Demonstrated ability to interact and work effectively with staff members at all levels (including senior management) to achieve cooperation and consensus among parties with diverse and often conflicting viewpoints or objectives.
EXAMPLE: Describe internal and/or external instances that required you to use tact, diplomacy, and negotiation skills to achieve cooperation and develop consensus, and techniques you use to develop effective working relationships. Describe experience or education that demonstrates or supports your ability to represent the agency effectively and professionally representing the position of your organization. Describe how your specific ability to communicate in a concise and proficient manner would contribute to the program management and analysis of a major multi-disciplinary organization.)
A description of how you possess the specialized experience, as well as how you meet the qualifications desired, should be addressed in your resume and additional space provided for supplemental response.