You may qualify at the GS-13, if you fulfill the following qualifications:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service:
- Serves as Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Health Physics (HP) by providing HP information and advice, and ensuring the protection of personnel from unwarranted exposure to ionizing radiation.
- Thorough knowledge of occupational health in relation to radiation programs.
- Manages the Radiation Safety Program to ensure compliance with all federal, state, and Service laws and regulations.
- Knowledge and experience in radiological and nuclear accident response.
- Serves as Laser Safety Officer for testing and ensures all laser safety protocols are met IAW ANSI Z136.1 and Z136.6.
- Coordinates test requirements and plans with other test team members.
Desired candidate's will have over 5 years' experience in health physics.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
In addition to meeting qualifications, your application package must reflect the applicable experience to meet the Individual Occupational Requirements for the 1306 series.
A. Degree: natural science or engineering that included at least 30 semester hours in health physics, engineering, radiological science, chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, and/or calculus.
B. Combination of education and experience -- courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or other education; or certification as a health physicist by the American Board of Health Physics, plus appropriate experience and other education that provided an understanding of sciences applicable to health physics comparable to that described in paragraph A.
*NOTE: Failure to provide transcripts will result in you being rated ineligible for this position.