This position is located in an Army Aviation Support Facility (AASF) or Army Aviation Flight Activity (AAFA) with responsibility for the performance of the full range of aircraft maintenance duties including troubleshooting, preventive maintenance, repair, and ground testing of assemblies, system, and surfaces for one or more types of military aircraft, fixed and rotary wing..
As a AIRCRAFT MECHANIC (T32), WG-8852-10, you will perform the following duties:
(1) Perform inspections, functional checks, and preventive maintenance on assigned aircraft to include pre-inspection, daily inspection, pre- and post-flight inspections and such special inspections as required, including fuel contamination checks, oil sampling, an inspection of onboard emergency equipment. Conducts checks on hydraulic, electrical, transmission, power systems, etc.
(2) Troubleshoots, diagnoses, and performs unscheduled maintenance on assigned and transient aircraft. Performs the full range of repair and testing of aircraft system, assemblies, and surfaces. Using a variety of methods involving test equipment, visual checks and instruments, diagnoses and identifies problem areas and determines the extent of repairs required. Removes components and assemblies, repairs or replaces defective parts and components and reassembles repaired items into the aircraft. Installs, aligns, and makes needed adjustments to major components and assemblies such as engines, propeller/rotors, transmissions, hydraulic systems, etc., assisting Specialists as required. Accomplishes adjustments to related systems which may be affected by repairs. Conducts ground functional tests of all aircraft systems. Services aircraft with oil, de-icing fluid, fuel, and hydraulic fluid. Launches and recovers assigned and transient aircraft; performs inspections prior ot takeoff. Inspects for conditions such as oil, fuel, and hydraulic leak, cut lines, tires and loose panels.
(3) May be required to perform such additional duties as fire fighting, aircraft crash/rescue, snow removal, etc.
(4) Perform other duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Alabama Army National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Army National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Alabama Army National Guard recruiter at 800-464-8273 prior to applying for this position.
MAXIMUM MILITARY RANK: SSG
*Other Requirements: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Each applicant must fully substantiate (in his/her own words) that he/she meets the requirements of the Specialized Experience listed below: Otherwise, the applicant will be considered unqualified for this position. DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training that has provided the candidate with the skill to remove and replace aircraft parts, accessories, and components, and to make adjustments and settings according to established specifications. Must be skilled in the use of hand tools and test equipment.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must possess at least 18 months experience in each of the following tasks: Experience or training installing, adjusting, aligning, troubleshooting and functionally testing the various major and minor mechanical and pneudraulic systems on an aircraft during overhaul or modification. Experience coordinating the work of other mechanics, and scheduling maintenance to ensure completion of critical actions and optimum workflow. Must have the ability to instruct lower graded mechanics, military and other personnel in the disassembly and re-assembly of crash damaged engines, transmissions, gearboxes, hydraulic components, and fuel controls sufficient for the exhibit to be returned to its shipping container.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION IS NOT CONSIDERED FOR WAGE GRADE POSITIONS.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.