1. Provide expert technical advice, guidance, and recommendations to management and other technical specialists on critical data-related issues. Maintains comprehensive knowledge of, and provides guidance to pertinent program stakeholders on the appropriate application of data categorization; privacy; and retention in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration regulations and policies; Department of Defense guidance; and Army Regulations. data privacy security regulations and compliance controls including: DoD Cloud Security Requirements Guide (SRG); Federal Risk Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP); National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) 800-53 and 800-171; DoD Risk Management Framework (RMF); Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), DoD defined security impact levels; and proper handling of sensitive, controlled unclassified information (CUI). (20%)
2. Defines roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for stewardship of the Command's principal information assets. Serves as the primary liaison between business and functional areas and technology to ensure that data related business requirements for managing and protecting data are clearly defined, communicated and well understood and considered as part of operational prioritization and planning. Develops procedural guidance for data ownership, access control, data management, and data manipulation to manage and administer organizational data. Identifies and obtains required resources and ensures access by the staff and management of both internal and/or external customers. Develops report matrices, and request for information procedures, along with collaborative planning tools (such as internet/intranet websites, knowledge portals, chat, and email) to ensure information is translated into focused knowledge that facilitates decision-making. (20%)
3. Works with government and contract personnel responsible for the comprehensive missions of database administration, data management, data modeling, data governance, data retention, data masking, corporate reporting, application data refreshes and Security Technical Implementation Guidelines (STIG) compliance. Serves as a point of escalation for governance, data quality and protection issues and works closely with business and functional area leadership to improve the quality and value of data assets, respond to regulatory protection requirements as well as support the strategic requirements of the Command. Advises the Chief Information Officer on enterprise wide data governance framework, with a focus on improvement of data quality and the protection of sensitive data through modifications to organization behavior policies and standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, related tools and data architecture. (25%)
4. Facilitates the development and implementation of data quality standards, data protection standards and adoption requirements across the enterprise. Defines indicators of performance and quality metrics and ensures compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and responsibilities, and adoption requirements. Designs and develops integrative views of data to enable informed decision making. Conducts analyses to ensure architecture and standards support, metadata management, financial auditability, process reengineering, system modernization and investment management. Collaborates with infrastructure engineers, software developers, Enterprise Data Architects, system owners, and business users to understand the end-to-end lifecycle of data. Establish a cohesive vision for the management, support, integration and modernization of EDM systems and data records management practices for CIO managed Data lakes related to the Business operations of each headquarters. (25%)
5. Coordinate planning, development, implementation, and administration of systems for the acquisition, storage, and retrieval of data. tailored to changing customer requirements; analyzing and planning for anticipated changes in data capacity requirements; developing and administering data standards, policies, and procedures; and designing data visualization and reporting solutions to support informed decision making for organizational initiatives. (10%)
Performs other duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
- National Guard Membership is required.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Incumbent must complete appropriate training and obtain required certifications IAW DoDI 8140, DOD 8570.01M or applicable governing document(s) for Cyber workforce as an IA Technician Level.
- All certifications are required within 6 month of employment.
This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military grade in the Alabama Army National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Army National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Alabama Army National Guard recruiter at 800-464-8273 prior to applying for this position.
Military Grade: Only applicants within the military grade listed below will be considered.
Maximum Military Rank: CW2
*Other Requirements: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Each applicant must fully substantiate (in his/her own words) that he/she meets the requirements of the Specialized Experience listed below: Otherwise, the applicant will be considered unqualified for this position. DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience - At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.