This position is notionally projected to transfer to the Defense Health Agency (DHA) within the next 24 months in order to fulfill the congressionally-mandated requirements from the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act, Section 702, as amended in 2019. The incumbent of this position, during such time of transfer, will no longer be a Department of the Air Force (DAF) civilian and will become a Department of Defense civilian under the authority, direction and control of the DHA.
In order to qualify, you must meet the specialized experience requirements described in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions, Clerical and Administrative Support Positions.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have at least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-04, or equivalent in other pay systems. Examples of specialized experience include: Knowledge of, and skill in applying, established rules, regulations, and operating procedures of the medical facility, its personnel, and its functions, sufficient to: refer calls; answer questions; schedule patients; determine eligibility for service; assemble patient charts in their required order and sequence; record a variety of physicians' orders for patient activities, diets, tests, and treatment; refer patients to proper clinics; answer questions regarding routine procedures; relay physician instructions to patients; file test results; relay information regarding the patient's condition; compile/submit data on patients treated; operate personal computers, data processing equipment, and/or office support software for word processing, data entry, or data retrieval; and use correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and required formats.
EDUCATION: Successfully completed four years of education above the high school level obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. NOTE: You must submit a copy of transcripts.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: Successfully completed post 2 years above high school and general experience directly related to the work of the position as outlined above that meets the requirements of the position. NOTE: You must submit a copy of transcripts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of the correct spelling and meaning of medical terminology commonly used by the medical facility; and correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and format to accurately prepare and edit written documents and reports.
2. Knowledge of the standardized body of rules, procedures, policies, and operations of the medical facility to determine patient eligibility, schedule appointments, maintain appointment schedules, make referrals, give instructions to patients, assemble and update patients' charts, record physicians' orders, and retrieve x-rays, laboratory reports, and other relevant patient data.
3. Knowledge of various office automation software programs, tools, and techniques to support office operations and produce a variety of documents such as letters, reports, spreadsheets, databases, and graphs.
4. Skill in typing; a qualified typist is required.
5. Ability to plan, organize work, and meet deadlines.
6. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing using tact and diplomacy.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.