THIS IS A TITLE 32 DUAL STATUS POSITIONLearn more about this agency
DUTY LOCATION: Unit Training Equipment Shop (UTES), East Lyme, CT
AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
Area 1: All currently employed full-time permanent and indefinite personnel of the Connecticut Army National Guard.
Area 2: All currently employed full-time Temporary Technician personnel (Tenure 0) and all current traditional members of the Connecticut Army National Guard.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Connecticut Army National Guard.
JOB SUMMARY: The purpose of this position is to troubleshoot, repair, maintain, inspect, and/or overhaul a variety of complex combat, tactical, commercial, and special purpose vehicles and equipment having complicated mechanical and non-mechanical systems with a variety of interconnected systems. Provides technical guidance and specialized team leadership to lower grade employees.
The major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performs maintenance, troubleshooting, and major repair on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat,tactical, and automotive vehicles.
- Troubleshoots equipment with a variety of the mechanically complex major systems and diagnoses difficult performance problems and the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks, uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges and computer diagnostic tools.
- Removes and disassembles engines and complex major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, and fuel, hydraulic, and oil pressure systems.
- Independently performs repairs and maintenance functions with little or no supervision in remote locations.
- Conducts readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed inside and outside. When inside, incumbent is frequently exposed to drafts, changing temperatures, and noise which is difficult to talk above. When outside, the incumbent is exposed to bad weather, in mud or snow, and in wet or icy areas. The incumbent is frequently exposed to irritations or discomfort from dust, heat, fumes, and hard damp floors or ground. Typically works on parts and systems, which are dirty, oily, or greasy. Frequently exposed to the possibility of cuts, burns, bruises, and sprains while repairing, positioning, and moving equipment. Often exposed to the possibility of falls while repairing, positioning, and moving equipment; and skin irritations from acid, fluids, and lubricants. Uses safety equipment such as protective ear devices, hard hats, hard-toe shoes, respirators, and protective clothing, which may be worn or used for long periods.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Work is performed in tiring or uncomfortable positions for long periods. There is frequent standing, bending, reaching, stretching, climbing, and crouching; or working on top of, under, and in tight compartments or cramped or awkward positions. Performs strenuous work while standing, lying, or sitting. Frequently lifts and carries items, unassisted, weighing up to 40 pounds; and often exerts similar effort in pushing, pulling, and positioning parts, assemblies, and equipment. Frequently lifts and moves heavier items with the assistance of other workers or with lifting devices such as jacks, hoists, and cranes. May be required to work from ladders or work platforms at varying heights.
Occasional travel - Subject to supervisor discretion and funding availability
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/616908700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.