About the Position: This Branch Chief position is located within the Ecological Resources Branch, Ecosystem Evaluation and Engineering Division, Environmental Laboratory (EL).
Position may be filled as Supervisory:
- Soil Scientist
- General Engineer
- Civil Engineer
- Environmental Engineer
- Physical Scientist
- Supervisory Mathematician
- Responsible for selecting and supervising competent team leaders and or principal investigators for in-house research work and for ensuring that research results meet sponsors' goals/objectives within allotted time and funding.
- Develops new research programs within the group's mission and works with team leaders to maintain adequate funding to support the personnel and facilities required to accomplish the mission.
- Provides overall direction to branch research projects.
- Makes major decisions regarding the scope and technical emphasis of projects.
- Matches research work with personnel in order to achieve employee career development and the development of overall group capabilities while meeting specific research objectives.
- Makes assignments and gives technical instructions to team leaders, establishes constraints and priorities, and makes decisions as necessary to guide and control the work.
- Plans and coordinates work, crossing team lines, and prepares consolidated summaries for higher authority.
- Manages group resources to support other elements of the EL, including developing and maintaining interdisciplinary research capabilities, developing scope of work, managing contracts, assisting in research planning and conducting in-house research.
- Supervises project planning and scheduling to satisfy all concerned from both economic and technical points of view.
- Coordinates arrangements for cooperative work among EL, ERDC, USACE, DOD, other Federal elements, and other sponsoring agencies and offices.
- Reviews proposals and scopes of work developed by branch personnel and directs and manages field, laboratory, and office work.
- Directs and reviews the development and production of technical reports and other forms of technology transfer for sponsoring offices, other agencies, and the scientific community.
- With assistance of team leaders, maintains discipline and makes performance appraisals on subordinate personnel.
- Maintains effective two-way communication with subordinate research teams to ensure they understand and support policies and other management-initiated actions.
- Maintains significant personal technical understanding and familiarity with the concepts and procedures of the various scientific and engineering disciplines required to accomplish assigned research.
- Based on technical understanding and knowledge of sponsor requirements, reviews research results produced by technical specialists for responsiveness and quality.
- Provides advisory, consulting, and reviewing service to assist in conduct of special staff studies designed to establish and enhance capabilities and programs in environmental processes.
- Prepares technical reports, miscellaneous papers, and other authoritative literature on assigned subjects.
- Participates in conferences with superiors, sponsoring officials, consultants, and others for reports on progress, discussion of general and specific problems, formulation of plans, etc.
- Presents important results of related work; writes reports on conferences.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/616572100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.