This position is located in the Smithsonian Institution (SI), Office of Assistant Secretary Communications and External Affairs and Chief Marketing Officer, Office of Government Relations (OGR). OGR is responsible for Congressional, intergovernmental, and intra-governmental relations for the SI and for representing the interests of the Institution before Members of Congress, congressional staff, committees and subcommittees, executive branch agencies, and state and local governments.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent reports to the Director, OGR and participates in all facets of the work of the Office. The purpose of the incumbent’s work is to assist in the formulation and implementation of important SI legislative and policy initiatives and issues.
The incumbent will also perform the following duties:
- Works closely with high-level staff throughout SI who are responsible for developing program and policy initiatives.
- Ensures that initiatives are in line with the Secretary’s stated goals.
- Prepares summaries and/or comprehensive bill reports to keep interested parties current on status.
- Develops formal and informal briefings for interested parties.
- Drafts and prepares position papers, talking points, speeches, background papers and other documents for the Director, OGR.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with key members of Congress and congressional staff, personnel in other Federal agencies, members of local government, and other as appropriate.
- Represents the Director at meetings and conferences and presents the official SI position on matters addressed.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/616336300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.