The incumbent is a Research Chemist in the Cotton Chemistry and Utilization Research Unit, Southern Regional Research Center, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, New Orleans, Louisiana. The Unit's mission is to protect and expand the use of cotton and especially cotton's share of the textile and non-wovens fiber market through the development of new and improved products, processes and applications leading to greater utilization of cotton.
Learn more about this agency
- Conduct research to develop enhanced products, processes and applications for cotton fiber - by effecting changes in state, processing, composition and physical/chemical properties and for developing new chemical reactions and processes.
- Design and develop chemical systems both traditional and nanotechnology based or processes for the modification of cellulose, cotton fiber, yarn, textiles and primarily nonwovens in order to develop new cotton-containing products.
- Research aspects of sustainability relative to cotton's competitive stance as compared to other fibers of commerce
- Study and develop nonwovens processes which are advantageous for cotton.
- Develop and expand the basic and applied science involving mechanical processing, assembly and physical structure of fiber composites of cotton and blends thereof to enhance the utility of cotton fiber.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/616309300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.