The ideal candidate for this position has formal training and demonstrated experience applying cybersecurity expertise in the leadership of IT security initiatives for large programs. This position starts at a salary of $103,690 (GS-13). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of FEMA's Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration, Risk Management Directorate, IT and Data Management Branch.Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position, you will serve as an Information Security (IT) Specialist in the Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration (FIMA), Risk Management Directorate, IT and Data Management Branch. Typical duties include:
- Manage IT security program: Using cybersecurity expertise to plan and lead contractor team responsible for multiple concurrent projects that establish and operate an IT security program for a portfolio of systems and applications.
- Applying changes to policy, practice, and products needed to control evolving threats and minimize risk of exploitation.
- Overseeing training of users, administrators, and developers on their security-related roles and responsibilities.
- Conducting audits to assess compliance with security policy and remediate weaknesses.
- Briefing top management on system security issues and their resolution.
- Maintain System Security and Authority to Operate for Multiple Systems:
- Managing accreditation procedures and ensure appropriate security measures are in place to obtain and maintain the Authority to Operate
- Managing continuous vulnerability remediation activities
- Advising on system, network, and software designs to minimize security risks and resolve security-related integration issues with the existing infrastructure.
Occasional travel - This position may require occasional non-emergency travel.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/616210000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.