This position is located in the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Inspector General, Audit Services Division (AS) which is responsible for all audit activities relating to improving the Department's programs and operations. AS conducts, coordinates, and oversees audits and other activities and makes recommendations to initiate administrative actions against program participants, promote economy, efficiency, effectiveness in the administration of programs and operations the Department.Learn more about this agency
The Inspector General (IG) of the U.S. Department of Education (Department) heads an independent and objective organization responsible for audit, investigation, and other inspection services related to programs and operations of the Department. The IG provides leadership and coordination and recommends policies for activities designed to promote economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of programs and operations as well as to prevent and detect fraud and abuse in such programs and operations. The IG is the principal advisor to the Secretary of the Department on the above matters and is responsible for keeping the Secretary and Congress fully and currently informed about problems and deficiencies relating to the administration of the Department's programs and operations and the necessity for and progress of corrective action.
The Office of Inspector General consists of the following five components:
- Immediate Office
- Investigative Services
- Audit Services
- Management Services
- Information Technology, Audits and Computer Crime Investigations (ITACCI)
- As a Supervisory Auditor, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Guide the performance of audits and other reviews by participating throughout the process for all engagements within his or her area of responsibility. Extensive knowledge of and experience with adhering to generally accepted government auditing standards and practices. Provide technical advice and guidance on these matters, participates in the establishment of each engagement's scope, monitors the progress of assigned engagements, reviews selected engagement documentation to ensure adherence to standards.
- Manages a staff of auditors, financial analysts, compliance inspectors and other personnel in conducting audits of the U.S. Department of Education programs and operations. Ensures appropriate professional development of staff, evaluate staff performance, take appropriate actions to improve performance where warranted, approves leave and perform all other functions necessary to effectively manage assigned employees. Additionally, participates in decisions involving hiring, promotion and reassigning employees.
- Ensures reports and other written products are clear, concise, accurate and grammatically correct. Communicates with officials at various organizational levels, within and outside the Department, to include presenting OIG opinions to appropriate officials and briefing senior management and Departments official on findings and recommendations.
Occasional travel - Travel May Be Required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/616123300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.