THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a HISTORIAN (TITLE 5), T5011000 and is part of the OR JFHQ, National Guard.Learn more about this agency
As a HISTORIAN (TITLE 5), GS-0170-9, the purpose of the position is to locate, obtain, analyze, evaluate and organize historical material pertaining to the Oregon National Guard. Public outreach duties are also performed in conjunction with the state's National Guard museum, Recruiting and Retention, the Public Affairs team, other JFHQ staff sections, and appropriate civilian organizations. The purpose of this outreach is to educate the public by emphasizing the Oregon National Guard's role in local and global events.
1. Plans, prepares, and conducts Public Outreach Programs. Using historical materials, develops outreach programs tailored for local and state historical and cultural institutions, local school systems, Army National Guard (ARNG) and Air National Guard (ANG) recruiters, as well as the state Public Affairs Office staff, and other military and civilian entities.
2. Writes Summaries/Narratives/Articles. Writes historical summaries and narratives detailing the state's National Guard participation in significant historical events (wars and campaigns, disaster relief, domestic disorders, etc.). Writes short articles for inclusion in military and civilian print media; drafts proposals for the acquisition of grants for special historical projects. Assists the state's Adjutant General (TAG), Chief, National Guard Bureau (CNGB), and other Department of Defense (DoD) speechwriters as required; produces summaries and narratives for special research projects as assigned.
3. Collects Documents and Artifacts. Obtains documents, published articles, photographs, videos and other Artifacts relating to significant historical events involving the state's National Guard and determines which records need to be researched. Collects information from correspondence, messages, memorandums, decision papers, and similar materials to document a variety of events. Conducts interviews of participants of events of historical significance, including a variety of players to present a total "picture" of an event; crosschecks data gathered to determine historical authenticity and accuracy of documented information; employs a thorough knowledge of historical records and familiarity with other agency repositories in order to research appropriate data; examines cross-references for complementary information, and if necessary acquires information from outside sources. Applies knowledge of the state's National Guard history, organization, and operations in analyzing records to determine their historical significance.
4. Assists Unit Commanders/Unit Historians. Assists unit commanders/unit historians in preparing for the documentation of the unit's deployments to ensure complete and accurate collection of documents and historical items; assists unit commanders/unit historians in preparing historical reports; examines historical reports for completeness and accuracy.
5. Manages Storage Plan/Archives Material. Plans and manages the overall storage plan for the historical documentation and historical artifacts, to include location of source materials, depositories and headquarters/unit records. Arranges archival records by providing a fixed location for each file and by correlating allied materials into logical order; preserves archival material from damage or loss by formulating and executing plans to retype, index, catalog, and store such records, including photographs and video/DVDs. Based on personal judgment, modifies archival techniques relative to records accessioning and arrangement; coordinates with State's Recruiting and Retention and with State Libraries and other institutions for purposes of displaying artifacts, documents, etc.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/616048700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.