- This position is located in Kotzebue, Alaska, serving Western Arctic National Parklands (WEAR) including Kobuk Valley National Park, Noatak National Preserve, and Cape Krusenstern National Monument.
Learn more about this agency
This position serves as the Park Manager (Superintendent) of Kobuk Valley National Park, Noatak National Preserve, and Cape Krusenstern National Monument. These units, established by the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA), contain nationally significant natural, cultural, physical, scenic, wilderness, and recreational values. Collectively, these units encompass over 8.5 million acres, and are vitally important as a large, contiguous tract of protected natural areas in the most northern reaches of the Alaskan Arctic. As Superintendent, the incumbent will:
- Oversee all aspects of operations for these park units and maintain complex relationships with other Federal, State, local, and Native agencies and organizations, stakeholders, and the public.
- Manage diverse and complex areas including Visitor and Resource Protection programs, Cultural and Natural Resources, Visitor Services (including Concessions), Interpretation and Education, Aviation, Administration, Maintenance, and Subsistence programs.
- Serve as the principal National Park Service spokesperson on all matters related to these units.
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with government and private organizations to assure cooperation on area management; accomplish of goals and objectives; and seek opportunities to partner or collaborate with these and other organizations
- Formulate and establish park operating policies and procedures in concert with applicable law, regulations, service policies and delegations of authority.
- Develop programs and budgets for the Operation of the National Park Service (ONPS) base funds and other funding sources as available and applicable.
- Establish priorities, provides final approval on all park project priorities, makes substantive fiscal decisions, and monitors and leverages expenditures to administer a complex annual operating budget.
- Directly and indirectly supervises a diverse staff in professional, administrative, technical, and Federal Wage System occupations.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel up to 5 nights per month for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/615833200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.