The Materials Sciences and Engineering Division supports basic research for the discovery and design of new materials with novel properties and functions. This research creates a foundation for the development of new and improved materials for the generation, storage, conversion, and use of energy as well as for other applications.Learn more about this agency
As the Director, Materials Sciences and Engineering Division you will:
- Provide leadership and direction in establishing vision, strategic plans, goals, and objectives for the research activities supported.
- Plan, develop, and implement vital, productive, forefront research programs conducted in Department of Energy (DOE) laboratories, universities, and other public and private institutions.
- Maintain awareness of international progress and directions in materials sciences and engineering as a basis for establishing world-leading research portfolios.
- Assure adequate financing for the activities in the area of responsibility, sets priorities for activities, and apportions available funding among them. Develop budget requests and manage the budget in accordance with prescribed practices set forth by the organization and the DOE.
- Review and make final approvals on staff recommendations concerning research agreements and individual proposals for research projects.
- Implement rigorous merit evaluation using independent peer review for all new and ongoing activities supported in accordance with the requirements identified in the Code of Federal Regulations for the grant program and published guidelines for the DOE laboratory programs and facilities.
- Advise and assist the head of the office in the formulations and management of new programs and policies. Respond to policy questions, resolve management problems, and keep the head of the organization informed of the progress and prospects of activities in the area of responsibility.
- Maintain strong, collegial relations with other programs within the office, the organization, DOE field offices, DOE laboratories, academic and other institutions both domestic and foreign, and the broad scientific community. Also maintain strong, collegial relations with the DOE technology offices and assesses the relevance of research activities to the missions of the DOE as well as the broad national energy agenda. Coordinate research activities with those of other Federal agencies that play roles in the support of materials sciences and engineering.
- Represent the division, the office, the organization, and the DOE in matters pertaining to the portfolio of the division to professional societies, coordinating committees, task forces, and various other entities, including national and international entities.
- Ensure that all activities are performed in a safe and environmentally conscientious manner by staff at DOE headquarters and by researchers and activities supported by the resources in the area of responsibility.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/615426100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.