WHAT IS THE APPEALS DIVISION: Independent by statute, staffed by highly trained professionals who provide mediation for any taxpayer contesting IRS compliance actions. Appeals is the last opportunity for the IRS and a taxpayer to resolve disputes prior to litigation, and ensures that all taxpayers can receive an impartial review of their tax case.Learn more about this agency
See Other Information for Locations
WHAT DOES A TAX COMPUTATION SPECIALIST DO? The Tax Computation Specialist is a specialized Internal Revenue Agent in the Appeals business division. As a Tax Computation Specialist (TCS), you are responsible for preparing tax computations for a full range of cases in accordance with the determinations of Appeals Officers, Counsel Attorneys and the courts. TCS prepares computations, schedules, explanations and exhibits reflecting adjustments to tax and penalties.
As an IRA Tax Computation Specialist, you will:
- Analyze and interpret work papers and reports prepared by Internal Revenue Agents; effect the instructions of Appeals Officers and Attorneys to prepare computations; prepare audit statements, together with appropriate schedules and exhibits, to reflect final determined adjustments and tax liabilities.
- Prepare Rule 155 computations in Tax Court cases giving effect to the Court's opinion and any stipulated adjustments; take into account all necessary adjustments in computing corrected tax liability that reflects the Court's decision.
- Participate in conferences with IRS employees and taxpayer or taxpayer's representative to help reconcile and resolve conflicting views regarding tax accounting problems.
- Prepare computations in order to determine jurisdictional limits of Joint Committee cases.
- Advise the Appeals Officers and Counsel Attorneys in the application of statutory provisions, service procedures and directives affecting the audit features of cases under consideration.
- Devise computation formats reflecting new legislation or court precedent where no guidance is available.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at http://www.jobs.irs.gov/
Occasional travel - 01 to 05 Nights per Month
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/614531900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.