The Bed Control Coordinator/Nursing Supervisor, also known as the Off-Tour Nursing Officer of the Day (NOD), is a registered professional nurse responsible for maintaining safe patient care by providing leadership and support to the unit staff for clinical, administrative, and bed flow/throughput during regular business hours and hands off to the NOD for off-tour management.Learn more about this agency
Duties and responsibilities are:
1. Responsible for Centralized Nurse Staffing Office staff (registry/contracted) and VA Float pool.
2. Manages the problem safely and effectively, recognizing his/her scope of practice.
3. Effectively functions as the charge nurse, team leader, or in other leadership role that guides and directs others who provide patient care.
4. Interfaces regularly with support departments to facilitate timely/appropriate care, e.g. prioritizing bed cleaning, after-hours prosthetic procurement, accessing/moving hospital and personnel resources where needed for patient care.
5. Communicates with Nurse Managers, the Associate Nurse Executives (ANE) the Deputy Nurse Executive (DNE) and Associate Director Patient Care Services (ADPCS) to trouble shoot and/or to assess operational issues that may potentially lead to large-scale events and/or unusual events that would potentially portrait the VA negatively in the public domain.
6. Coordinates assignments directs hospital activities and deploys staff appropriately taking into consideration the competency of the staff.
7. Assigns patient care responsibilities based upon patient needs, competencies of staff and whenever possible in collaboration with off-tour charge RNs.
8. Organizes and completes own assignments in a safe and timely manner, assisting team members as necessary.
9. Actively develops and manages collaborative partnerships with physicians and other clinicians.
10. Provides fair input for the evaluation process for the managers regarding off-tour nursing staff.
11. Identifying developmental and training needs of subordinates and providing or making provision for such development and training as well as providing input for evaluation of off-tour staff. Additionally, responsible for performance improvement, customer service/patient satisfaction, patient and employee safety, interviewing applicants, employee relations, standards of care and practice, the work environment, and accreditation and regulatory standards.
12. Responsible for safe and adequate staffing throughout the hospital during non-business hours (off tours) and in collaboration with the inpatient/perioperative managers, Associate Nurse Executives (ANE) and Deputy Nurse Executive for inpatient and outpatient operations 24/7.
Flexibility and adaptability to work in a rapidly changing environment, including working variable shifts; Minimum 3 yearsacute care clinical experience within the last 5 years with an in-depth knowledge of critical care; Education: Masters preferred; BLS/ACLS certified; Strong knowledge of relevant healthcare and clinical operations including information technology (preparing reports, MS Office Suite and computer knowledge), patient care workflows and processes; Strong leadership, fiscal, and operations management skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with physicians, management, and staff from all points of entry; Demonstrate organizational and project management skills, with the ability to lead a team, prioritize tasks, and see projects through from inception to completion; Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, with the ability to quickly analyze problems, determine appropriate level of intervention, and develop and apply effective solutions; Strong interpersonal skills for effective information exchange and problem solving with all levels of management and staff, consultants, and outside agencies.
Work Schedule: 0630-1900, 1830-0700, 24/7 Coverage including off-tours, weekends, and holidays. Work Schedule will be discussed during interview.
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/614522700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.