WHAT IS THE WAGE AND INVESTMENT DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.
See "Other Information" for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A COMPUTER ASSISTANT DO? As a Computer Assistant, you will provide Help Desk support telephonically to customers in various paper and electronic processes, procedures and requirements necessary to file information returns electronically, including processing applications and creating an account to file electronically. Computer Assistants in the EPSS business unit provides a full range of technical assistance to customer including troubleshooting problems and issues, identifying causes of problems, explaining filing/processing requirements, determining steps to be taken, and providing solutions to resolve issues to ensure electronic files can be transmitted and prevent future problems.
As a Computer Assistant you will:
- Navigates through numerous screens, systems, research tools, and IRS technology to determine if control files/recors have been created, identifies any file problems, and resolves a wide-range of technical issues and problems for the filing of information returns.
- Verifies the processing of electronic files submitted by the customer through the information return processing systems, and provides information and confirmation to customers on the status of transmitted and retransmitted files, including but not limited to waivers and extensions fo file.
- Supports electronically filed information return testing process and ensures records can be transmitted in the correct format and meets IRS electronic filing specifications. Ensures required fields will post to the IRS master file and customers understand the processing requirements for electronic information return filing.
- Assists customers with manual movement of file data that has been created in another software application and reviews file error codes.
- Evaluates and ensures the specific requirements for electronic information return processing are met by identifying work flow, equipment and capacity requirements, and job interrelationships as it relates to electronic information return processing.
- Evaluates system change requests associated with electronic information return processing in order to determine modifications to existing set-up, schedules, and dependencies with other systems and programs.
- Serves as OJT or formal classroom instructor.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/613913300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.