The Health Systems Specialist in the Office of the Medical Center Director at the Loma Linda Health Care System reports to the Director. The Health Systems Specialist utilizes specialized knowledge of the fundamentals of healthcare management and serves as a management representative of the Executive Leadership Team.Learn more about this agency
**Recruitment or Relocation incentives may be authorized for highly qualified applicants**
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
The incumbent functions as Health System Specialist in the Office of the Medical Center Director. Incumbent may serve as a back-up for other Health System Specialists in the office and may be detailed to fill critical administrative leadership positions within the facility and VISN to support continuity of healthcare delivery operations. The Health Systems Specialist utilizes specialized knowledge of the fundamentals of healthcare management and serves as a management representative of the ELT. He/she/they participate in the stewardship and responsibility for operations of the organization as a whole, executing the Director's vision for the framework of healthcare delivery and direction of services and programs across the enterprise. Duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- First level supervisor responsible for direction and supervision of subordinate employees, writing position descriptions, evaluating work performance, and counsels employees as necessary.
- Develops a thorough, administrative and strategic operational initiatives of the organization that
enables the specialist to identify problems, analyze data, and recommend resolutions based on specific
knowledge of the organization's objectives and priorities, resources, and catchment area.
- Assist in prioritizing resource allocations throughout the healthcare system in conjunction with other Director's Office Staff.
- Incumbent reviews resources requests for FTEE, Equipment, Overtime, and Space, and keeps abreast of the medical center budget and forecasts needs based on regional market trends.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of improved healthcare operations issues, updates equipment, construction techniques, etc., that may be helpful to senior management.
- Incumbent reviews policies and procedures that are in conformance with the overall philosophy of the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) related to all aspects of healthcare programs.
- Plans, organizes, trends and reviews requests for resources within their assigned executive's chain of command and makes recommendations, based upon the relative needs while considering their ability to utilize the resources requested.
- Assist the Executive Leadership Team in assessing needs in a realistic fashion, documenting them effectively, and presenting them to a diverse audience of internal and external stakeholders.
- Reviews medical center budget initiatives, subsequent justifications and defends for the clinical or administrative service/program to the Medical Center Director as needed.
- Provides guidance and advice on program specific matters such as handling legislative issues, the development and implementation of policy or program initiatives, protocol issues, and other important correspondence or VISN/VACO related matters.
- Works closely with other facility/VISN elements on project development and submission.
- Incumbent makes recommendations regarding necessity of a project, and what elements are to be included in the scope of the project based on local, VISN, or national strategic initiatives and alignment.
- Reviews audits and evaluations which are conducted at the facility.
- Incumbent deals with problems arising from quality of care issues and consumer complaints arising from individual patients, Veterans groups, Congressional offices, and other stakeholders.
- He/she/they obtains data and prepares replies to correspondence for the signature of the Medical Center Director, Network Director, or for the appropriate VA Central Office, i.e., the Secretary, the Under Secretary for Health (Executive in Charge), Deputy Under Secretary for Health for Operations and Management, and the ADUSHOM, etc.
- Incumbent will be asked to take on collateral assignments in overall program areas directly impacting healthcare delivery operations.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Supervisory Health Systems Specialist/PD028210
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: May be authorized for highly qualified applicants
Permanent Change of Station (PCS): Authorized
PCS Appraised Value Offer (AVO): Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/613680800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.