WHAT IS THE WAGE & INVESTMENT (W&I) DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.
See Other Information for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A TAX EXAMINING TECHNICIAN (RESTRICTED INTEREST) DO? As a Tax Examining Technician you will work as a member of a team responsible for resolving the full range of tax cases. These cases will involve all types of tax accounts, examinations, and in many cases, highly complex interest calculations. This work includes tax cases which consist of net rate, various court decisions, tax appeals from the Department of Justice, overlapping periods of interest, corporate subsidiary relationships, as well as Presidential declared disaster areas, carrybacks, and other interest abatement issues.
As a Tax Examining Technician (Restricted Interest), you will:
- Research and analyze each case to determine the scope and nature of the complex interest calculation issues and problems.
- Research and resolve the most complex interest calculations which include the net rate interest netting process of overlapping periods of debit and credit interest, and other special situations.
- Research or reconstruct data completing analysis of the conditions and complicating factors including numerous computational errors, multiple tax years, and multiple adjustment issues to compute complex interest calculations.
- Prepare appropriate documentation for and inputs adjustments, credit transfers, etc. incorporating computations to initiate resolution of all case issues including tax, penalties and interest.
- Serve as a technical advisor to other functional offices, taxpayers and representatives on complex interest calculation matters.
- Identify computer conditions and programming errors resulting in inconsistent interest computations and provide analysis for the correction of computer errors.
- Prepare internal procedures that provide for consistency in the application of tax law under manual computation procedures or for issues that are not covered by existing procedures.
- Serve as classroom instructor, OJT coach, and quality reviewer.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/613472500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.