If you are ready to begin your new career or are looking for a place to make an impact, what better place than a top ranked agency in the federal government? We are looking for the best and brightest to join our team of dedicated professionals here at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), where we are ranked number three among mid-size agencies in the Best Places to Work in the federal government rankings!Learn more about this agency
Our employees gain valuable work experience that provides them with the career boost that they are seeking. We need people like you to help us move the industry forward and continue to shape the future of energy policy. Join us and help make a difference! The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's role is to oversee various aspects of the energy industry, including transmission of electricity, natural gas and oil. We also analyze proposals to build liquefied natural gas terminals and interstate natural gas pipelines and license hydropower projects. To help support the modernization of the electric system here in the U.S., we are focusing on issues associated with a smarter grid.
This position is located in the Office of Enforcement (OE) - Division of Analytics and Surveillance (DAS). The Office of Enforcement serves the public interest by ensuring effective regulations and protecting customers through understanding markets and their regulation, timely identifying and remedying market problems, assuring compliance with Commission rules and regulations, and detecting and crafting remedies to address market manipulation and other non-compliance issues.
Join a core team of highly-skilled data engineers and data scientists that develop electricity and natural gas databases, that 40+ analysts in DAS use to conduct fraud detection of the US wholesale electricity and natural gas markets.
Major Duties for the EIA (IT):
- Works with teammates to build a data warehouse that sits on top of non-public data filed to the Commission under Order No. 760. This data warehouse consolidates over 1,500+ tables across 6 databases into a smaller set of dimension and fact tables joined together with performant views. Also, develop and maintain data pipelines to ingest data from 3rd-party vendor databases or scrape data from public sources and centralize in a SQL Server database where other staff can use the data in their analyses.
- Supports other DAS teams in completing complex analyses of voluminous public and non-public data sources; or independently leads data analysis of varying degrees, sometimes to determine data quality or data integrity issues.
- Follows coding best-practices in collaborating with their team to develop, test, and deploy their code into production.
- Frequently presents findings to their team by presenting on their process, logic, and code On less frequent occasions, presents findings and recommendations to larger technical and non-technical audiences orally.
- Frequently communicates their findings/positions over email. On less frequent occasions, presents findings and recommendations to larger technical and non-technical audiences in writing.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/613050600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.