This position is located at the Jamaica Plain, MA Campus and is in GRECC Service.Learn more about this agency
All applicants must submit a copy of their most recent SF50 to be considered
The Health System Specialist is responsible for the coordination and management of the research, educational, and clinical programs of the New England Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center (GRECC), which encompasses the GRECCs at the VA Boston Healthcare System and the VA Medical Center in Bedford, MA. The New England GRECC is a resource for all VA facilities in the New England Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN). The position is physically located at the Jamaica Plain campus of the VA Boston Healthcare System; however the incumbent will have responsibility for supporting Bedford GRECC administrative staff and will have the larger oversight over VISN-wide GRECC activities, therefore local travel to other campuses/facilities may be required.
Major duties and responsibilities include:
- Oversight of administrative and operations functions of the GRECC at the VA Boston Healthcare System, and providing guidance and support for his/her counterpart at Bedford as well as to GRECC staff across the VISN.
- Demonstrating a strong understanding of health care system and research program operations; must have administrative knowledge of the operations of different clinical/research departments and services.
- Developing and coordinating policies and procedures regarding internal operations.
- Personnel management functions such as development of position descriptions and performance standards; addressing disciplinary matters; monitoring staffing and recruitment
- Applying a wide range of qualitative and/or quantitative methods for the assessment and improvement of program effectiveness or the improvement of complex management processes and systems.
- Management and allocation of financial resources (budget planning, formulation, and execution; cost accounting)
- Working with the GRECC Director and senior management on the development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of short and long-term strategic plans for the program
- Management of the procurement and contracting program for the GRECC
- Writing proposals for funding, equipment, and capital outlay
- Planning and allocation of laboratory and office space for GRECC personnel
- Representing the GRECC at executive meetings within the VA Boston Healthcare System and throughout the VISN and serving as a primary point of contact (along with the GRECC Director) for the VA central office, as well as granting agencies such as the NIH and private industry.
- Administrative oversight (credentialing, administrative processing, time cards, etc.) for fellows, medical students, and without compensation (WOC) staff.
Work Schedule: Full Time Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm
Telework: not available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Health System Specialist/PD006580
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Permanent Change of Station (PCS): Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
NOTE: This position is a AFGE Bargaining Unit position.
NOTE: This position is covered by locality-based comparability pay.
NOTE: Selectee may be required to work at any Boston Healthcare System campus, as needed.
NOTE: Candidates who meet the qualification requirements within 15 calendar days following the closing date of the announcement will be considered.
NOTE: Time-in-Grade Restriction - Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. The grade may have been in any occupation but must have been held in the Federal service.
NOTE: Current or Former Federal Employees must submit copies of their most recent SF-50 (Notice of Personnel Action). The SF-50 must identify the position title, series, grade, step, tenure, and type of service (Competitive or Excepted). In some cases, more than one SF-50 may be required to show a higher grade previously held.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement As required by Executive Order 14043, Federal employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee's duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination by November 22, 2021 or before appointment or onboarding with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), if after November 22. VA will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation is needed and how you can request a legally required exception from this requirement. Please contact the Human Resources Point of Contact listed at the top of the JOA.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/612790300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.