This position is located in Field Operations Directorate, Office of Field Operations, District 34, Chicago Field Office.
As an IMMIGRATION SERVICES OFFICER you will independently research, interpret and analyze an extensive spectrum of sources in order to accurately adjudicate immigration benefits and petitions.Learn more about this agency
- The responsibilities described are for the GS-09 level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope performed with less independence, and limited complexity.
- Grant or deny applications and petitions for immigration benefits and determine appropriate level of adjudicative review and update databases with appropriate information and decisions.
- Research and interpret sources including immigration laws and regulations, operating instructions, legislative history, precedent decisions, state and local laws, and international treaties to determine adjudicative decision.
- Gather information using a variety of methods including document review, electronic systems checks, interviews, etc. to make adjudicative decisions on immigration benefit applications/petitions.
- Process electronic or paper applications and petitions for immigration benefits using available electronic systems to verify numerous established data points.
- Provide direct assistance to personnel/officials of other Federal agencies in identifying individuals who pose a threat to national/public security.
- Conduct security checks in accordance with all applicable DHS/USCIS laws and policies.
- Provide applicant/petitioner/beneficiary support including liaison with internal and external stakeholders, problem resolution, and in-person services.
Occasional travel - You may be required to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/611639700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.