This is the position of Staff Assistant, Central Engineering Department (CE), the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO). The purpose of the position is to provide general administrative expertise to the Manager of Central Engineering (MCE) and Department Administrator (DA) in areas related to the overall operation of the department.Learn more about this agency
• Prepares proposals for, and subsequently administers the awards of, both externally and internally funded projects for CE Principal Investigators. Serves as Authorizing Officer.
• Provides general administrative support to the MCE, DA, Machine Shop staff and other department staff as requested. Supports the MCE, DA and senior engineering staff in special projects, and performs related administrative duties as required.
• Devises and maintains a quickly and easily accessible property database for the department’s IT resources and also for resources in the labs at the CDP location. Produces reports on same, tracks current location and condition. Serves as the point of contact in annual audit activities.
• Creates resource loaded Microsoft Project engineering program management schedules, which are incorporated into the master labor assignment schedule. Incorporates frequent revisions into same. Generates reporting as requested.
• Maintains cognizance of SAO and CE administrative policies and procedures, and serves as an information source to department staff on administrative issues. Evaluates, recommends, and implements improvements to administrative procedures.
• Generates requisitions and travel authorizations. Determines and applies appropriate fund numbers. Tracks requisitions and expedites orders, as required. Maintains cognizance of, appropriately applies and administers all applicable policies, procedures, and documentation requirements and serves as an information source to CE staff.
• Maintains the department’s website. Seeks out input from appropriate engineering discipline/contact, obtains permission and posts data.
• Coordinates contracting of temporary personnel agencies.
• Performs other duties as required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/611157000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.