This position is located within United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, ARS Field Organization, Northeast Area, Eastern Regional Research Center, Dairy and Functional Foods Research Service in Wyndmoor, PA.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent works as part of a scientific team, providing bioinformatics resourcepertaining to metagenomics, metabolomics, and proteomics.
- Works in collaboration with the laboratory scientists and other scientists to analyze the effect of food components on the microbial metabolome in order to correlate community structure and function.
- Performs investigations on the gut microbiota kinetics at the macro- and micro- levels in response to important components from dairy, fiber, and plant polyphenols, and whole foods.
- Runs statistical analysis to determine significance of any changes identified.
- Uses high-throughput sequencing, next generation sequencing, computation genomics, and sequence alignment tools such as Blast or Bowie.
- Provides training on the use of systems and programs and works with individual scientists and/or staff so they can prepare pipelines in support of their research.
- Keeps abreast of new technologies and searches literature for the most applicable procedures, techniques or analyses relevant to projects.
- Ensures data security parameters and procedures are applied to ensure the integrity of the data.
- Provides guidance and advice on bioinformatics analysis methods, techniques, and results to other scientists in the research group and management unit.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/610855900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.