THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION THAT REQUIRES MILITARY MEMBERSHIP.Learn more about this agency
This National Guard position is for a SUPERVISORY SURFACE MAINTENANCE SPECIALIST, Position Description Number PDD1251000 and is part of the Mississippi National Guard.
As a SUPERVISORY SURFACE MAINTENANCE SPECIALIST, GS-1601-12, you will serve as a second-level supervisor and technical authority over two or more Army National Guard (ARNG) surface maintenance facilities, e.g., Combined Support Maintenance Shop (CSMS), Maneuver Area Training Equipment Site (MATES), Unit Training Equipment Site (UTES), and/ or Field Maintenance Shop (FMS). Work requires comprehensive knowledge of the principles, concepts, and practices involving ARNG surface maintenance facilities, equipment, and services. In the absence of an officially established and filled position.
(1) Directs, coordinates, and oversees the work of subordinate supervisors and employees. Plans and schedules work to be accomplished by subordinates, sets and adjust short-term priorities. Assigns work in consideration of employee skills and mission requirements. Exercises significant responsibilities dealing with headquarters' personnel, senior commanders, and staff officers of other units, organizations, and commands. Advises high-ranking management of functions, activities and services provided. Advises, counsels, or instructs employees on work and administrative matters. Develops performance standards. Makes or approves selections for subordinate non-supervisory positions and recommends selections for subordinate supervisory positions. Approves expenses comparable to within-grade increases, employee travel, etc. Recommends awards or bonuses for nonsupervisory personnel and changes in position classification. Provides technical supervision for field and sustainment maintenance on surface equipment issued to the ARNG.
(2) Ensures that maintenance facilities manage workflow to attain established backlog goals. Using the current automation or other programs, monitors maintenance activities OPTEMPO funds usage to ensure proper expenditure and resource management. Ensures expendable, non-expendable, and durable property is authorized, maintained, and properly accounted for. Nominates subordinate supervisors to manage maintenance facilities. Ensures established ratios for direct and indirect employees are maintained. Evaluates performance, provides counsel, advice and instructions for immediate subordinates.
(3) Develops, implements, and oversees the quality assurance program for assigned surface maintenance facilities to ensure production goals as established and attained. Oversees and participates with other involved officials in developing plans and procedures for assuring quality and reliability of work products. Reviews work instructions, technical data, inspection methods, and test procedures to assure adequacy. Reviews quality and flow of materials and supplies required to support maintenance activities. Confers with supported units to resolve problems. Publishes technical information letters on quality assurance techniques and objectives. Responsible for monitoring manpower utilizations ensuring work methods, procedures, and allocations are made to best accomplish program objectives within available resources.
(4) Provides technical guidance to assigned maintenance activities through coordinated assistance and/or evaluation visits. Plans ongoing unit visits throughout the state. Visits assigned surface maintenance facilities on a regular basis to promote efficient operations, and compliance in accordance with current regulations and policies. Ensures the state maintenance support plan is reviewed and updated to reflect the most current data. Plans and develops schedules and agendas for shop supervisors' training and meetings and coordinates details to ensure an effective meeting.
(5) Responsible for conducting periodical inspections of maintenance activities to determine adequacy of work, storage; and to support current density of equipment supported and personnel employed. Provides an analysis of needs, develops requirements, and coordinates recommendations to ensure adequate facilities are established and maintained.
(6) Manages the state's Command Maintenance Evaluation Team (COMET). Analyzes COMET results, develops plans to assist or correct systemic problems, and monitors implementation. Provides budgetary requirements to support COMET-related travel and other funding requirements. Schedules assigned activities and units assigned to the state as well as teams to conduct inspections.
(7) Manages the safety and health program for maintenance facilities and operations including instruction in safe operating procedures and policies; and investigation of all accident/incidents including preparation of reports and other required documentation. Determines corrective action required and ensures procedures are implemented to prevent future problems.
(8) Performs other duties as assigned.
Details of the duties and responsibilities are contained in the applicable position description located online, on the FASCLASS website. https://acpol2.army.mil/fasclass/search_fs/search_fasclass.asp
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/608623100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.