The purpose of Accountant, GS-0510-09 is to perform professional accounting work requiring the application of sound accounting principles, theories, concepts and practices. The incumbent of this position will serve as an Accountant for the VA Medical Center located in Memphis, TN. The Memphis VA Medical Center is a part of VISN 9 within the 21 locations of the Veterans Integrated Service Network.Learn more about this agency
The VAMC in Memphis, Tennessee consists of one main campus located at 1030 Jefferson Avenue, which includes a sixty-bed Spinal Cord Injury Unit, and ten community-based outpatient clinics (CBOC). It is a tertiary care facility classified as a Clinical Referral Level 1 Facility and one of the most complex medical centers in the VA system. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology, as well as extensive education and research programs. Comprehensive primary, secondary, and tertiary health care is provided in areas of medicine, general cardiovascular and neurological surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, spinal cord injury, neurology, oncology, dentistry, and geriatrics. Specialized outpatient services are provided through general, specialty, and subspecialty outpatient clinics including a women's health center. Services are available to more than 206,000 Veterans living in a fifty-three county tri-state area (Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi).
Major duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs review, analysis and evaluation of existing and proposed accounting practices;
- Works on the design of automated systems to facilitate the processing of accounting data to assure the results attained meet all accounting requirements;
- Performs special reviews and analyses to ensure the integrity of the general control system and prepares special reports and financial statements relating to the financial condition of specified program activities;
- Persuades contacts to accept courses of action and viewpoints on recommended objectives, policies, and regulations;
- Reviews the work of Accounting of other fiscal staff to ensure accuracy and conformity to policy and procedures, instructing them on proper methods and assigns projects as needed;
- Promotes understanding and effective application of financial management/accounting policies and procedures;
- Monitors the implementation of new and/or supplemental accounting systems and procedures;
- Identifies source of problems and accounting adjustments required, and recommends procedural changes to preclude reoccurrence of problems identified;
- Provides technical advice and assistance to budget technicians/analysts in the resolution of problems;
- Assists program managers in developing accounting data structure and with accounting closeouts or reorganization events;
- Reviews report media, directs and/or prepares and analyzes internal and external statements and reports;
- Makes decisions regarding unusual and complex accounting transactions, and consults on solutions to management problems and provides alternatives;
- Performs related duties as required.
Telework: Not available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position
Position Description Title/PD#: Accountant/PD03641A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Physical Requirements: Work is sedentary, but does require review of computer printouts, microfiche and teletype messages which can cause eye fatigue. Occasional lifting of computer printer paper and computer generated schedules/listings is required. Filing and boxing prior and current year papers to move to VA's main records and storage vault is performed regularly. The work is performed in an office setting.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/608573400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.