This position is a full-time Physician located at the Central Alabama VA Medical Center, assigned to the Acute Care and Specialties Service Line as an Emergency Medicine Physician located at Montgomery, AL. The primary purpose of the position is to provide immediate recognition, evaluation, care, stabilization, and disposition of a generally diversified population of patients in response to acute illness and injury in the Emergency Department.Learn more about this agency
This vacancy announcement will be open and continuous until it is filled. Applicants who submit a package by Monday, August 2, 2021 will be given first review. A new review will be done once weekly thereafter.
The Montgomery area is a balance between production and service economies with major interstates in all directions; public, private and military institutions of higher learning; and a proud heritage to showcase. The warm Southern hospitality, high quality of life and low cost of living make Montgomery a wonderful place to put down roots and raise a family. Montgomery offers everything expected in a big city - from world-class arts and theater to state-of-the-art health care and vibrant retail - all with the small-town warmth seldom found in a city of this size.
Montgomery has long understood that quality, accessible healthcare is a key aspect of any regimen for a robust economy. Our area's healthcare and medical industry makes an approximately $1 billion direct contribution to our local GDP, with a total economic impact of $4.5 billion annually.
VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package. VHA Physician Total Rewards.
Recruitment Incentive (Sign-on Bonus): Recruitment incentive may be offered to highly qualified candidates.
Permanent Change of Station (Relocation Assistance): Relocation incentives may be paid to highly qualified full-time employees only.
Education Debt Reduction Program (Student Loan Repayment): EDRP is offered for this position.
This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan payment reimbursement program. You must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA policy and submit your EDRP application within four months of appointment. Approval, award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) are determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services program office after complete review of the EDRP application. Learn more.
Pay: Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases
Paid Time Off: 49-54 days of annual paid time offer per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, 10 paid Federal holidays per year and possible 5 day paid absence for CME)
Retirement: Traditional federal pension (5 years vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA
Insurance: Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement)
Licensure: 1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory
CME: Possible $1,000 per year reimbursement
Malpractice: Free liability protection with tail coverage provided
Contract: No Physician Employment Contract and no significant restriction on moonlighting
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Direct patient care focused on the immediate decision making and action necessary to prevent death or any further disability both in the out-of-hospital setting by interacting with emergency medical technicians and in the emergency department.
- Asses, evaluate, diagnose, and provide initial treatment to patients who present in the Emergency Department with any symptom, illness, injury, or condition; to provide services necessary to ameliorate minor illnesses or injuries and stabilize patients with major illnesses or injuries; and to assess all patients to determine whether additional care is necessary.
- Perform procedures related to Emergency Department such as but not limited to: basic and advanced airway management, rapid sequence intubation, management of mechanical ventilation, administration of moderate sedation, EKG interpretation, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, cardioversion, defibrillation, venous central line placement, intraosseous access, peripheral arterial puncture for ABGs, NGT placement, gastric lavage, gastrostomy and tracheostomy tube replacement, reduction and immobilization of fractures and dislocations, wound care and closure (suture), abscess incision/drainage, lumbar puncture, knee arthrocentesis, anterior nasal packing, peripheral vein catheterization, vaginal pelvic exam and Foley Bladder Catheterization. Also, emergency surgical procedures indicated by emergency medical conditions or injuries such as emergent cricothyrotomy, and chest tube placement.
- Participation in the coordination of interfacility transfers for patients requesting transfer from another emergency department to the CAVHCS emergency department.
- Participation in the coordination and recommendation for appropriate destination of patients in the out-of-hospital environment requesting access to the CAVHCS emergency department.
- Active participation in the coordination of efficient patient flow in the emergency dept.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/608530900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.