This position is located in the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) of the United States Agency for Global Media (USAGM) an independent Federal Agency of the U.S. Government. The attorney incumbent serves as an Assistant General Counsel in the Litigation Practice Group which handles the Employment Law, Labor Law, and Litigation practice within the OGC. The Agency is led by a Chief Executive Officer and a multi-member Board, which includes the Secretary of State.Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but are not limited to:
PRACTICE OF LAW AT THE USAGM (IN GENERAL): The practice of law at USAGM is unique within the federal government. The USAGM is primarily a news organization, meaning that all USAGM OGC attorneys gain expertise in providing legal support to an international media organization, supporting journalists operating around the globe. In that regard, OGC deals with those matters that impact all media organizations, including intellectual property and licensing; transmission of our content via terrestrial antenna, satellite, internet, and social media; and press freedom and first amendment issues.
We are also a government agency and so, our practice also handles the multitude of legal issues that most government law offices encounter, including federal employment and labor law; federal contracting; appropriation and fiscal law; grant law; and FOIA and ethics.
DUTIES FOR THIS POSITION:
The Litigation and Employment/Labor Law Practice Group provides definitive legal advice on Employment and Labor Law matters impacting the agency, and serves as the Agency lead for all Agency litigation. The Group also advises on litigation risks associated with the many often complex actions the Agency undertakes in its unique role operating and overseeing a major global media organization. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide definitive legal counsel on all other litigation or litigation risk facing the agency.
- Manage, defend, support and otherwise represent the Agency in cases before MSPB, EEOC, FLRA, and Federal Courts. Work with OGC leadership to help Agency Leadership think strategically about our practices and posture to improve litigation outcomes. Manage cases with minimal or no supervision.
- Provide definitive legal counsel on all aspects of federal employment law
- Provide definitive legal counsel on all aspects of federal labor law.
- Serve as lead lawyer in cases in administrative and judicial hearings.
- Apply a customer-service oriented approach to legal practice; think outside of the box on legal questions; and be willing to take on new tasks and responsibilities.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/608188600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.