The Deputy Assistant Secretary for Spent Fuel and Waste Disposition, Office of Nuclear Energy (NE) will provide leadership and expertise in managing the national program that utilizes national laboratory, universities and industry assets to develop an integrated waste management system needed to store, transport, and dispose of spent nuclear fuel (SNF) and high-level waste (HLW) accumulated in the United States.Learn more about this agency
As the " Deputy Assistant Secretary for Spent Fuel and Waste Disposition" you will:
- Leads the Department of Energy's, congressionally directed interim storage initiative, establishing an enduring process for a durable solution to the nation's spent nuclear fuel and high-level waste disposition challenge and the engage with willing and informed communities, states, and tribes who are interested in hosting interim storage or disposal facilities as part of an integrated waste management system.
- Incorporates environmental and energy justice principles into procedures, engagements, collaborations, and communications underpinning consent-based processes.
- Provides leadership and expertise to support the establishment of an integrated waste management system through development of technologies to demonstrate options for short and long-term spent nuclear fuel and high-level waste management that minimizes nuclear waste and enhances materials protection, control, and accountancy.
- Oversees the management of project controls systems and works to ensure that the Department is employing "best practices" to control work scope, cost, and schedule and to ensure cost-effective utilization of scientific and engineering resources.
- Oversees a university research program in the fields related to spent nuclear fuel and high-level waste disposition, including nuclear engineering, physics, chemical engineering, geology, geochemistry, radiochemistry, and other related fields of study.
- Develops budget submissions for the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and congressional budgets using guidance provided by the Office of the Chief Financial Officer as stipulated by the Assistant Secretary for Nuclear Energy.
- Directs the conduct of innovative research, development, and implementation of an integrated waste management system to enable safe design, construction, and operation of nuclear facilities.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/608166800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.