The VA Long Beach Healthcare System is recruiting for one (1) Supervisory Police Officer (Captain), position is located in the Police Service, Long Beach, CA. The incumbent is responsible for the enforcement of federal criminal laws and applicable Department of Veteran Affairs Regulations. The duties performed involve the protection of persons/property assigned to the VA Medical Center and the enforcement off state traffic laws to ensure the orderly flow of traffic throughout the campus.Learn more about this agency
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee i.e. investigation, detention and apprehension of individuals suspected or convicted of offenses against the criminal laws of the United States and the Rules and Regulations Governing Security, Law Enforcement, and Standards of Conduct on Veteran Affairs Property.
- Supervise a team of police lieutenants, sergeants, police officers, detectives and other law enforcement staff, who carry out day-to-day, routine crime suppression and investigative functions.
- Supervise the administrative and support functions of non-sworn personnel.
- Assure subordinates are conducting vigorous, inquisitive patrol activities at the Medical Center, which i.e. assures random patrol patterns, meet special protective service requirements, and provide maximum visibility to deter against crime and provide a secure environment for the employees, patients and visitors.
- Determine on the spot temporary changes in patrol assignments and mission priorities to meet requirements of security and law enforcement for the Medical Center.
- Determine the need for searches to collect and secure contraband, which could cause bodily harm to Medical Center patients, employees, and visitors in the preservation of the peaceful environment requisite to the operation of the medical treatment programs.
- Assure that first line supervisors conduct personal equipment inspections of their subordinates to ensure the safety of the officer is not jeopardized by defective equipment (i.e., protective vest, radios, police vehicle, authorized weapons, etc.).
- Promote an environment in which employees are empowered to participate in and contribute to effective mission accomplishment.
- Oversee human resources activities; and leads, prioritizes, assigns, reviews, approves, and disapproves employees' assignments and related assignments.
- Plan and coordinate the daily duty schedules and monthly work schedules ensuring minimum coverage is met to provide 24-hour law enforcement coverage for the Medical center.
- Assist the Police Operations Officer with monitors and/or reviews of police reports for accuracy and completeness for responsible officer make corrections when necessary.
- Implement affirmative action/EEO initiatives identified in the installation Affirmative Employment Plan.
- Provide supervision to the first line supervisors for the Medical Center Police Officers and/or actively participates in all police functions as needed.
- Assist the Police Operations Officer for the daily law enforcement operations involving over VA Police Officers and/or fill the position of a first line Supervisory Police Officer during an extended absence as needed.
- Ensure the first line supervisors approve and/or disapprove annual/sick leave keeping in mind minimal manning requirements and limiting the use of overtime.
- Collaborate with the Police Operations Officer to i.e. recognizes poor or outstanding work performance, makes recommendation for reassignments/promotions and recommends disciplinary actions when required.
- Assure law enforcement and physical security standards are i.e. maintained, exercised with a high degree of efficiency, gives technical advice and assistance to subordinates when needed.
- Ensure his/her subordinates defuses stress associated with enforcing laws or regulations when the sensitivity in handling the situation is heightened more by the nature of the offender than the seriousness of the crime..
Position Description/PD#: Police Officer/PD99815S
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607905700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.