The incumbent provides systems engineering support for the next generation Event Horizon Telescope (EHT). The incumbent will lead several systems engineering efforts in close collaboration with and at the direction of the Project Engineer. The Engineer will be focused on system integration, subsystem deployment to various sites, test support, and verification and validation planning.Learn more about this agency
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: The Engineer will play a key role in the overall next generation EHT engineering team, participating in all phases of the systems development lifecycle, including concept of operations, requirements, system architecture modeling, system design, risk management, integration, testing, and implementation planning. The incumbent will lead several systems engineering efforts in close collaboration with and at the direction of the Project Engineer. The Engineer will be focused on system integration, subsystem deployment to various sites, test support, and verification and validation planning. The incumbent will work with an international team that includes engineers, theoreticians, software developers, astronomers, and imaging algorithm experts, all united by a common science vision. This position will require that the incumbent possesses the ability to learn quickly, see the big picture, and carry out multiple complex activities simultaneously.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides engineering leadership for the system design of the next generation Event Horizon Telescope, from conceptual design through prototype demonstration and detailed system architecture. Assists and coordinates development of technical specifications for all next generation EHT subsystems. Assists and coordinates engineering design and analysis (drawing from mechanical, optical, systems, microwave, electronic or signal processing disciplines), as well as proposal preparation and formal documentation.
- Leads subsystem integration, testing, verification, validation, and deployment activities to various global sites of the ngEHT array, including verification plans and procedures, analysis and test, and hardware acceptance.
- Coordinates subsystem design and development activities across international working groups for instrumentation, infrastructure, and supporting systems that comprise the ngEHT station system design. Ensures software design is compatible with instrument hardware. Participates in design reviews.
- Writes and maintains engineering requirements, specifications, interface documents, etc., assisting the Project Engineer to ensure that project milestones and budgets are successfully met.
- Prepares engineering input to project proposals, cost estimates, cost models, schedules, technical plans, procedures, and reports.
- Makes oral and written presentations to project scientists and technical representatives of cooperating and/or contracting organizations. Contributes to papers and technical articles as required. Represents SAO on technical task forces.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel to support project activities.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607702000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.