The Engineer will be focused on leading the system design and software architecture for the ngEHT array monitoring and control system. In addition to duties on the next generation EHT project, the Engineer will lead and contribute to software engineering improvement activities aimed at streamlining SAO’s Central Engineering capabilities for software engineering.Learn more about this agency
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: : Provide systems engineering support for the next generation Event Horizon Telescope (EHT). This position includes dual roles shared between the next generation EHT project and the SAO Central Engineering organization, envisioned as an approximately 50/50 resource allocation between both roles. The Engineer will play a key role in the overall next generation EHT engineering team, participating in all phases of the systems development lifecycle, including concept of operations, requirements, system architecture modeling, system design, risk management, integration, testing, and implementation planning. The incumbent will lead several systems engineering efforts in close collaboration with and at the direction of the Project Engineer. The incumbent will work with an international team that includes engineers, theoreticians, software developers, astronomers, and imaging algorithm experts, all united by a common science vision. Both roles in this position will require that the incumbent possesses the ability to learn quickly, see the big picture, and carry out multiple complex activities simultaneously.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides engineering leadership for the system design of the next generation Event Horizon Telescope’s Array Monitoring and Control (M&C) System, from conceptual design through prototype demonstration and detailed system architecture. Assists and coordinates development of technical specifications for the Array M&C system. Assists and coordinates engineering design and analysis (drawing from mechanical, optical, systems, microwave, electronic or signal processing disciplines), as well as proposal preparation and formal documentation.
- Architects and manages a software team within SAO’s Central Engineering organization to design and deploy a data analysis software system using software engineering best practices.
- Manages small team of software engineers to develop the Array M&C System, including overseeing the development of prototypes, graphical user interfaces, integrations with existing software systems at local sites, and other modules as required. Ensures software design is compatible with instrument hardware. Participates in design reviews.
- Leads system architecture modeling for the Array M&C System using model-based systems engineering (MBSE) tools. Implements modeling approach and presents system architecture models to various worldwide institutions and stakeholders.
- Contributes to the development of system-level concept of operations and performs functional analysis and decomposition to trace higher level system requirements and user needs into subsystem-level Array M&C requirements, features, and designs.
- Writes and maintains engineering requirements, specifications, interface documents, etc., assisting the Project Engineer to ensure that project milestones and budgets are successfully met.
- Prepares engineering input to project proposals, cost estimates, cost models, schedules, technical plans, procedures, and reports.
- Makes oral and written presentations to project scientists and technical representatives of cooperating and/or contracting organizations. Contributes to papers and technical articles as required. Represents SAO on technical task forces.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel to support project activities.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607640000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.