This is a Term appointment with an initial duration of 13 months. Extensions up to four years may be possible.Learn more about this agency
This is a Seasonal position. Full-time work is guaranteed for 13 pay periods and when not working, you will be placed in non-pay/non-duty status.
This position is located on the Tongass National Forest in Juneau, AK.
For additional information about the duties of this position, contact Donald MacDougall at Donald.Macdougall@usda.gov or at 907-789-6280.
- Participates in the preparation and execution of wilderness management plans based on approved direction in land management plans.
- Prepares annual wilderness operating plans.
- Implements wilderness, and/or trail and bridge construction and reconstruction projects.
- Works as a ranger in a remote field setting providing bear safety education, interpretation and public safety for visitors at the Pack Creek Bear viewing area on Admiralty Island National Monument.
- Works with Pack Creek crew lead on scheduling and logistics for field trips and field camp maintenance.
- Performs trail log, condition, and prescription surveys.
- Recommends the location of a variety of facilities, and records diverse information about the characteristics of the area.
- Monitors and inspects contracted work meets the provisions of the contract.
- Participates in performing final inspection and developing the final inspection reports.
- Conducts Limits of Acceptable Change (LAC) studies, interprets findings to make recommendations to wilderness management objectives and policies, and suggests alternative methods for meeting objectives and/or policies.
- May initiate public contacts in the field to enhance the user's wilderness experience and protect the wilderness resource through dispersal of information.
- Develops and conducts wilderness education programs at Forest Service offices, trailheads and in the local community.
- Keeps records of visitor use levels, types and patterns.
- Provides input to the budget planning by assisting with the overall estimation of materials, personnel, and supplies needed for work accomplishment for enveloped and dispersed recreation sites.
- Develops and monitors the logistics required for completion of wilderness projects and non-wilderness projects associated with trail maintenance and reconstruction.
- Participates in the identification and planning for future trail construction, reconstruction, maintenance, and restoration projects.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position for training. Regular travel from Juneau to Admiralty Island to staff the bear viewing area is required, via float plane or boat.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607556200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.