This position is assigned to the Office of Policy and Program Development (OPPD) in the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The Risk Management and Innovations Staff (RMIS) ensures that OPPD policy development initiatives have a scientific basis by collaborating with the Office of Public Health Science and with FSIS's chemical and microbiological hazards workgroups.Learn more about this agency
- Conduct or direct a variety of complex projects and programs covering a variety of subjects centralized around food safety risk management, industry guidelines, food safety assessment methodology, and sampling program development.
- Leads or serves as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on studies, projects, and surveys which are broad in scope and significance to evaluate the effectiveness of both operational and public health performance related to food safety policy.
- Leads or consults junior personnel in maintaining surveillance of significant developments related to the assigned program area, preparing analyses of the implications of these developments, and recommending program modifications.
- Responsible for providing highly technical advice to the Director and Deputy Director that is critical to the development of regulatory performance policy and appropriate risk management strategies.
- Represents the FSIS in conferences, seminars, public meetings, and advisory committees.
- Provides guidance and training to others in the development of policy issuances, guidelines, executive correspondence, policy briefing papers, talking points, and option papers, including recommendations.
- Participates in the risk management decision process, develops risk management questions, and communicates effectively about food safety risk with peers, managers, and stakeholders.
- Develops regulatory policy regarding existing and new meat, poultry, and egg inspection regulations to ensure policy meets the food safety public health of the FSIS in a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) environment.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607314200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.