JOB DESCRIPTION: Data Scientists develop and apply methods to identify, collect, process, and analyze large volumes of data to build and enhance products, processes, and systems. They conduct data mining and retrieval, and apply statistical and mathematical analyses to identify trends, solve analytical problems, optimize performance, and gather intelligence. They visualize information using a range of tools (e.g.,Learn more about this agency
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) serves as the world leader in providing timely, relevant, accurate and actionable geospatial intelligence (GEOINT). NGA's civilian, military and contract personnel evaluate imagery, maps, charts, multiple layers of foundation data - such as terrain, elevation and gravity - and the full spectrum of visible and invisible light in order to help users visualize what is happening at a particular place and time. Our intelligence officers go beyond describing 'what, where and when' to revealing 'how and why.' Our work enables decision advantage for our policymakers, warfighters, intelligence professionals and first responders. Band 4 Data Scientists lead efforts to develop and apply methods to identify, collect, process, and analyze large volumes of data to build and enhance products, processes, and systems. They apply the application of programming, statistics and visualization to glean insights from large and disparate data sources. Data Scientists understand and utilize aspects of machine learning to solve and automate classification, regression, cluster analysis, anomaly detection, association discovery, and topic modeling tasks. These scientists understand and utilize solutions with predictive patterns from data into practical, intelligent applications that anyone can use. They visualize information using a range of tools, develop scripts and algorithms, create explanatory and predictive models and conduct comparative analyses to address complex problems. Other duties may include:
* Lead and develop quantitative and qualitative analytic methods to identify, collect, process, and analyze large data sets for specified purposes;
* Identify complex trends, solve analytical problems, optimize performance, and develop results through appropriate data analysis techniques (e.g., data mining and retrieval);
* Develop complex applied statistics, build algorithms, and collaborating with domain experts to analyze large volumes of data to build and enhance products, processes, and systems
* Demonstrate the ability to think tactically and strategically; operate in a dynamic environment; and deliver interoperable corporate solutions.
* Extensive experience in creating and maintaining geodatabases and integrating and managing foundation, intelligence, and multi-INT data into structured geodatabases.
* Discover and utilize spatial data from classified and unclassified sources and existing tools or develop methods to tie spatial information to datasets where necessary.
* Initiate, build and maintain professional relationships with other NGA offices and external partners to collaborate on effective data management, data dissemination, and online on-demand practices
* Lead data mining and retrieval efforts and apply statistical and mathematical analysis to identify trends, solve analytic problems, optimize performance, and gather intelligence.
* Create and develop complex scripts and algorithms (e.g. Python), create explanatory and predictive models and conduct comparative analyses to address complex military and intelligence problems.
* Create visualizations of information using a range of tools (e.g. Tableau, R, and ESRI Arc-GIS 10.4 suite, including model builder).
* Provide excellent customer support and consultation, interacting with analytic units in a professional manner to understand their challenges, incorporate their feedback, and provide quality solutions.
Additional Application Requirement: You may be asked to complete one or more assessments in addition to the application you submit on this website as part of your application to NGA. These assessments may include but are not limited to:
1) Online questionnaires or assessments that require you to describe your job-related knowledge, skills(U) , abilities, or other characteristics that are aligned with the mandatory and desirable qualifications of this job posting. The information you provide in the application you submit must support the response you provide to this questionnaire.
You will receive an email to describe any additional assessments required. Please monitor your emails and complete any required assessments as soon as possible.
This position may be eligible for an INCENTIVE: selected candidates may be offered an incentive as part of the offer of employment, based on budget availability. To receive the incentive, selected candidates must be eligible under 5 CFR Part 575 upon issuance of the Final Offer Letter. Changes in federal employment status prior to issuance of the Final Offer Letter may affect eligibility. Incentive recipients sign a service agreement depending on the approved amount or duration of the incentive. If the employee leaves before the end of the service agreement, the employee may be required to repay a pro rata share amount of the incentive to the government.
Occasional travel - Occasional Travel Required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607254300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.