There are several positions located in Region 3 Ecological Services' (ES) field offices and one position in the Regional 3 ES Regional Office. ES biologists work on a variety of emerging and traditional conservation tasks including implementation of the Endangered Species Act and field work to support species and habitat conservation.Learn more about this agency
This position is also open under announcement R3-21-11165641-MADS-MP. You must apply to each announcement separately to be considered under both.
As a Biologist your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates, collects and processes field specimens for analysis according to established procedures, methods and techniques.
- Conducts routine field experiments using various data-collection systems and extracts and analyzes data from these systems.
- As directed, conducts program analyses, and reviews results of studies or investigations. Drafts sections of reports that include recommendation for changes, elimination, or improvement of operations and program plans.
- Reviews research and reports prepared by outside parties, such as technical reports, biological assessments, and environmental impact reports, and provides recommendations orally and in writing to identify conservation needs and opportunities for imperiled species.
- Gathers, organizes, and interprets a wide variety of biological, ecological, pathological, public use data or other information pertinent to scientific studies.
- Participates in partnerships/collaborative groups and meets with partners, stakeholders, and general public to communicate the mission of the USFWS, respective USFWS office priorities and conservation needs.
The Biologist salary will be based upon duty station and locality pay once selected. Locality tables may be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2020/general-schedule/.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Resume and supporting documents (See How To Apply)
- Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Merit promotion applicants must meet time-in-grade requirement as defined in 5 CFR 300, Subpart F.
- Depending on location, incumbent may be required to possess a valid state driver's license.
- Must meet Pathways eligibility requirements
- Selectee will be required to sign a Pathways Agreement form
- Applicants must provide documentation of completion within the previous 2 years of a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
QualificationsOnly experience and education obtained by 07/20/2021 will be considered.
In order to qualify for this position you must possess both the Basic Requirement and Minimum Qualification.
- A bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited college or university in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. OR
- A combination of education and experience which includes courses equivalent to a major in the biological sciences (i.e. at least 24 semester hours) as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education that is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in the biological sciences, agriculture, or natural resources management or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
- One year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility equivalent to grade GS-05 in the Federal service. Experience includes: conducting field studies and biological work assignments using established methods and procedures; gathering and organizing biological, ecological, or other data pertinent to scientific studies; assisting in analyzing, and reporting on fish and wildlife resources of an area; and participating in public use or education programs. OR
- One full year of graduate level education in an accredited or pre-accredited college or university in in a discipline closely related to fish and wildlife biology. The education must demonstrate the competencies necessary to do the work of the position; OR
- A combination of education and experience as described in 1 and 2 above which together equals 100% of the requirement. OR
- Superior Academic Achievement: Completion of a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree in a field of study that demonstrates the competencies required by this position with either (1) a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 based on a 4.0 scale as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; (2) a 3.5 GPA based on a 4.0 scale based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; (3) class standing of upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or a major subdivision of the college; or, (4) membership in a National Scholastic Honor Society certified by the Association of College Honor Societies, excluding freshman honor societies.
- One year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility equivalent to grade GS-07 in the Federal service. Experience includes: conducting field studies and biological work assignments using standard scientific techniques and knowledge of fish and wildlife biology principles and theories; analyzing biological data using statistical software and/or geographic information system (GIS) software; writing scientific reports; applying biological data to develop management recommendations for conservation of species and habitats; and preparing and delivering presentations. OR
- Successful completion of two full years of progressively higher level graduate education (i.e. 36 semesters/54 quarters or school equivalent) or master's or equivalent graduate degree in a discipline closely related to fish and wildlife biology. This education must be directly related to the position to be filled. OR
- A combination of education and experience as described in 1 and 2 above which together equals 100% of the requirement.
Time In Grade Requirement: Applicants must meet both eligibility and qualification requirements for the position of interest by the closing date of the JOA. Specifically,i. Area of Consideration.ii. Time-in-grade (TIG) requirements as specified in 5 CFR 300, Subpart F.iii. Time after competitive appointment as specified in 5 CFR 330.502.iv. Qualification requirements outlined in OPM's Qualifications Standards for General Schedule Positions or for Federal Wage System (FWS), wage grade positions, applicants are evaluated using the OPM Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations and the job element examining method.
Your SF-50 will be used to confirm you meet all requirements
Promotion Potential: This position involves a multi-grade career ladder. The major duties listed represent the full performance level of the GS-09. At the lower grade level, you will perform assignments of a more limited scope and with less independence. You will progressively acquire the background necessary to perform at the full performance level of GS-09. Promotion is at the discretion of the supervisor and is contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of higher level work, and availability of funds.
The selectee may be promoted without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s) and grade point average or class ranking. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts.
PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Qualifying Educational Institution for the Recent Graduates Program:
Qualifying educational institutions/programs include any accredited technical or vocational school, 2- or 4-year college or university, a graduate or professional school, or a post-secondary certificate program institution equivalent to at least 1 academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
Applicants may refer to the U.S. Department of Education's Institutional Accreditation System to determine whether their school/program is accredited.LOCATION INFORMATION:
Please find further information regarding all positions and their locations at the following site - Biologist, GS-0401-7/9 Station Information | U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (fws.gov).
The announcement has one position that is being advertised as "Location Negotiable After Selection". The possible locations for this one position are as follows:
- Green Bay, WI
- Madison, WI
- Bloomington, MN
To register or verify your registration go to the Selective Service System at https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx
PCS Information: No PCS entitlements authorized.
Telework: FWS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
Additional Vacancies: One or more positions may be filled from applications received under this announcement in the advertised office or other U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service offices in the local commuting area.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information.
Recent Graduates Information:
This position is being filled under the Pathways Recent Graduates Program that affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Individuals must apply within two years of receiving a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution, with the exception of veterans, who have up to six years to apply due to military service obligations. An application will be considered only if it is received no later than 2 years (or 6 years for certain veterans) from the date all requirements for a qualifying degree or certificate were met. This announcement's open date will serve as the 2 year (6 year for certain veterans) cutoff date. Students may apply within one (1) month of meeting their education requirements.
The Recent Graduates Program lasts for one year. During the first year the selectee will perform developmental activities designed to help him/her acquire the competencies of the target position in which the he/she may be placed upon completion of the program. Participants who successfully complete the Recent Graduates Program may be eligible for conversion to the target position on a permanent or term (more than one to four years in duration) basis without further competition.
Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years after degree or certificate completion.
- Must meet the eligibility requirements for the Recent Graduate Program. Recent Graduates will enter a formal training program with a mentor and execute an Individual Development Plan outlining training requirements and program expectations.
- Recent Graduates must receive at least 40 hours of formal training directly linked to their employment field.
- Recent Graduates serve a trial period for the duration of their excepted service appointment.
- Recent Graduates will be required to sign a Pathways Recent Graduate Participant Agreement. Applicants must provide documentation of completion within the previous 2 years of a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the basic qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you meet the basic qualifications your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience which resulted in you being listed in the highest quality category, you may lose consideration, or be assigned to a lower quality category for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Ability to establish positive working relationships and exercise tact and diplomacy in coordinating activities with co-workers, and as needed, with representatives of other Federal agencies, state, tribal and local organizations, conservation organizations, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate in writing in order to prepare correspondence, scientific reports, management plans, and similar documents.
- Professional knowledge of the theories, principles and concepts of biology; related biological and physical science disciplines such as botany, chemistry, toxicology, hydrology, entomology, limnology, parasitology, and ecology.
- Ability to implement field and laboratory studies, and to use statistics to analyze study results and develop management recommendations for conservation of species and habitats.
- Ability to organize and track data records including geospatial reports/maps.
- Best Qualified
- Well Qualified
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 showing you were honorably discharged. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must attach an SF-15," Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" in addition to the proof required by that form.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume or Application. At a minimum, your resume MUST contain job title (include job series and grade, if federal), duties, starting and ending dates (month and year), hours worked per week, and salary. USAJOBS has a template to ensure a complete resume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YX7o1PBoFk
- Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Official or unofficial College Transcript(s), if the position has education requirements, or if you are using your education to qualify. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. A copy of your official transcripts will be required if you are selected. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- SF-50 (non-award), or equivalent Notification of Personnel Action if you are a current or former Federal employee. Your SF-50 (non-award) must show tenure code 1 or 2 in block 24, and position occupied code 1 (competitive service) in block 34. Note: Federal employee who has reinstatement eligibility, you MUST submit a copy of your latest non-award SF-50 "Notification of Personnel Action," that shows you are serving under a permanent career or career-conditional appointment (code 1 or 2 in block 24) in the Competitive Service (code 1 in block 34). The SF-50 must show the position title, series, grade, and step of your position. If you are claiming reinstatement eligibility, you must submit an SF-50 showing your separation (resignation, termination, etc.). If you have previously held a higher grade than the grade/position you currently occupy, you must submit a copy of the last non-award SF-50 you received for that position. If you have any questions regarding which SF-50's to submit, it is highly recommended that you contact the person listed on this vacancy announcement before the closing date.
- Note: You must submit ALL SF-50s and performance information for each period of temporary/term employment if you are requesting to be considered Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act eligibility. For Public Land Corp eligibility, a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Compliance Hiring Based for Public Land Corps Service is required for verification of eligibility.
- Veterans' Preference documentation, if applicable (e.g., DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service, SF-15 Form and related documentation, VA letter, etc.)
- If applicable, documentation/proof that you are eligible Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)
- Please submit a copy of your most recent, signed and completed annual performance appraisal which includes the final rating. If it is not dated within the last 18 months or if you have not received a performance appraisal, please explain why in your application." Please include incentive awards with your application.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
- Review the Appointment Eligibility Criteria: The eligibility section of the application process is designed to allow you to choose how you wish to be considered for this vacancy announcement. You will ONLY be considered for the appointment eligibilities that you selected. You must provide proof of your eligibility as required by appointment eligibility to be considered.
- Resume or Application. At a minimum, your resume MUST contain job title (include job series and grade, if federal), duties, starting and ending dates (month/day/year), hours worked per week, and salary. USAJOBS has a template to ensure a complete resume.
- You must also complete the online application and assessment questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is received. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
- You will be considered for all eligibilities for which you select "yes" and submit the required documents and supporting documentation (e.g. DD 214, Schedule A letter, etc.). The supporting documentation you submit will be used to determine your eligibility. Please review the list of documentation provided in the eligibilities language to ensure you provide the appropriate information.
- Please note, your eligibility will be based solely on the selections you have indicated "yes" in this section. You must provide the supporting documentation to support your claim to be considered. You may choose more than one eligibilities in this section.
- To view the assessment questionnaire, click here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11166076
Agency contact information
Human Resources Staffing Division
AddressDivision of Human Resources
Division of Human Resources
5600 American Blvd, West Suite 990
Bloomington, MN 55437
Next stepsOnce you submit all the required documents and the online application in USAJOBS, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After the evaluation process is complete, you will be notified of your status and/or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted by the customer office.You will be notified if this job is filled or canceled. Timelines for this process vary widely.You may check the status of your application at any time by logging in to your USAJobs Account as we will not be responding to inquiries about the status of applications as long as the system has been updated.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607084800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.