The incumbent serves as Supervisory Research Microbiologist and Research Leader of the Agroecosystems Management Research Unit of the USDA, ARS, National Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment in Ames, Iowa. The Laboratory's mission is to conduct research to develop solutions to complex problems on agricultural systems and the environment. The Unit's mission is to develop the knowledge and technology to create sustainable solutions for agricultural production and environmental benefit.Learn more about this agency
- Determine the factors affecting soil and manure management impacts on water quality, emphasizing transport and survival of bacteria, viruses, antibiotics or antibiotic-resistant bacteria or factors affecting nutrient cycling.
- Develop conservation and manure management practices that enhance nutrient retention in soils and reduce losses to surface water and groundwater.
- Utilize cultural, molecular and advanced-omics approaches for microbiological analysis of microbial communities, pathogens or antibiotic resistance markers.
- Use state-of-the-art analytical techniques for antibiotics and other analytes in environmental samples.
- Perform, modify and improve molecular microbiology and soil ecology techniques.
- Integrate large and cross-scale datasets to investigate gene flow and contaminant transport in the landscape and other pressing research concerns.
- Supervisory duties include:
- - Maintaining and enhancing the creativity and productivity of the Unit.
- - Managing the human, fiscal and physical resources assigned to the Unit;
- - Providing technical information and consultation, both internal and external to ARS; and
- - Ensuring the proper interpretation and reporting of scientific research results and information.
Occasional travel - Local, domestic, and international travel is required for field work and to attend training and scientific meetings and conferences.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/606653500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.