The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.Learn more about this agency
As our nation navigates the COVID-19 pandemic, our agency remains committed more than ever to delivering our mission to safeguard America's borders and enable legitimate trade and travel. Driving forward our hiring process to staff mission critical positions continues to be one of our highest priorities. First and foremost, we want to provide you reassurance that CBP is still hiring, despite potential delays with some hiring process steps due to COVID-19 restrictions that impact in-person activities.
Being a Border Patrol Agent makes you a valuable member of the Federal Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) profession. Typical assignments include:
- Detecting, preventing, and apprehending undocumented noncitizens and smugglers of noncitizens at or near the land borders by maintaining surveillance from covert positions
- Responding to electronic sensor alarms
- Interpreting and following tracks, marks and other physical evidence
- Using infrared scopes during night operations
- Responding to aircraft sighting and other anti-smuggling activities
- Performing farm and ranch checks, traffic checks, city patrols, and transportation checks
- Patrolling the international boundary and coastal waterways and using a variety of Government assets for the accomplishment of the USBP Mission. These assets may include, but are not limited to: vehicles, horses, vessels, watercrafts, off-road vehicles, ATVs, snowmobiles, and motorcycles.
- Big Bend Sector Texas - Presidio Station, Van Horn Station, Sanderson Station, Alpine Station, Sierra Blanca Station, Marfa Station
- Del Rio Sector Texas - Abilene Station, Del Rio Station, Brackettville Station, Comstock Station, Eagle Pass North Station, Eagle Pass South Station, Carrizo Springs Station, Rocksprings Station, San Angelo Station, Uvalde Station
- El Paso Sector Texas - Alamogordo Station, Clint Station, Deming Station, El Paso Station, Fort Hancock Station, Las Cruces Station, Lordsburg Station, Santa Teresa Station, Truth or Consequences Station, Ysleta Station
- El Centro Sector California - El Centro Station, Indio Station, Calexico Station
- Laredo Sector Texas - Laredo South Station, Cotulla Station, Hebbronville Station, Laredo West Station, Freer Station, Laredo North Station, Zapata Station
- Rio Grande Valley Sector Texas - Rio Grande City Station, Fort Brown Station, McAllen Station, Brownsville Station, Falfurrias Station, Weslaco Station, Kingsville Station, Harlingen Station
- Yuma Sector Arizona - Blythe Station, Yuma Station, Wellton Station
- start as a BPA in December 2021 to GL-7 and make $49,508 - $78,269 per year*
- be promoted in December 2022 to GL-9 and make $55,214 - $89,054 per year*
- be promoted in December 2023 to GS-11 and make $64,649 - $105,061 per year*
- be promoted in December 2024 to GS-12 and make $77,488 - $125,924 per year*
Uniform/Grooming Standards: This position requires wearing an officially approved uniform and complying with established grooming standards found here; as established by the Border Patrol's Uniform and Grooming Standards Policy #07-09126. Please note that in accordance with these standards, tattoos and/or brandings on the head, face, neck or hands are not permitted. Obscene, racially/ethnically derogatory and/or gang tattoos or brandings shall not be visible. All visible tattoos and/or brandings will be covered while performing the following volunteer duties: Recruiting, Public Affairs Officer, Oral Hiring Boards, International Liaison duties, Community Affairs or judicial proceedings.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required based on operational needs.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/606016600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.