National Defense University (NDU) supports the joint warfighter by providing rigorous Joint Professional Military Education to members of the U.S. Armed Forces and select others in order to develop leaders who have the ability to operate and creatively think in an unpredictable and complex world.Learn more about this agency
This is a Title 10 Excepted Service Appointment. Appointment is not to exceed 3 years with the possibility for extension.
1. As the college's senior academic voice, the Dean is responsible for the content and quality of the college's curricula, the currency, relevance and pedagogical innovation of its component courses, programs, and curricula.
a. Responsible for the quality, consistency, and timely professional delivery of full- and part-time college programs delivered in-residence, through occasionally blended or distance learning.
b. Aligns faculty resources as necessary to elevate and sustain academic excellence across Departments and Programs.
c. Participates in a continuous process to ensure college maintains all civilian and military accreditation standards.
d. Ensures a University-wide strategic focus for managing all teaching and research resources.
e. Oversees the college's academic middle management, including Associate Deans, Department Heads, and Course Directors.
2. Chairs the College Academic Policy Council (APC) or equivalent body for academic governance and peer review purposes.
3. Provides academic and faculty leadership for the College.
a. Talent Management: Manages full-time, adjunct, subject matter expert, visiting, and contract
1. Recruitment, selection, and reappointment;
2. Faculty development, academic promotion, and performance management; and
3. Faculty workloads, schedules and vacations.
b. Oversees all title 10 hiring actions, promotions, and awards within the component. Ensures
component hiring panel members and those in the selection process understand and adhere to
EEO and EO practices while protecting merit system principles.
c. Ensures uniform application of academic policies and procedures.
d. Assigns faculty and staff to college and University-wide working groups.
e. Provides substantive input to and implements Memorandum of Agreement governing strategic
f. Implements rigorous planning and assessment processes to include review of academic policies,
processes, and calendars.
g. Prepares and/or reviews timely preparation of faculty performance appraisals.
h. Coordinates with Dean of Administration to ensure sufficient funding for faculty hiring,
educational materials, faculty development, program delivery, and instructional/administrative
support for Departments and Programs.
4. The Dean, leads a rigorous process of planning and assessing the curriculum to ensure: it remains relevant to the national security environment; it is in compliance with Officer Professional Military Education Policy (OPMEP) requirements in CJCSI 1801.01, as well as the Middle States Commission on Higher Education accreditation requirements; the curriculum appropriately reflects the mission of College; and is pedagogically sound.
5. Teaches core, concentration, or elective courses, as needed, to maintain contact with College courses, classrooms, and students, and to support delivery of the College curriculum. Teaching is secondary to leadership and academic oversight responsibilities.
6. Maintains currency, expertise, and professional stature in the field through research and publication of scholarly work.
7. Actively participates in University and component engagement efforts to share learning and scholarship within the college, throughout NDU, and beyond:
a. Develops and maintains professional relationships across NDU with critical stakeholders, relevant Government agencies, and universities;
b. Supports the NDU VP-AA/Provost and related University committees; and
c. Participates in University activities during and outside of normal duty hours.
8. Serves as a Working Group member of the Military Education Coordinating Council (MECC).
9. Performs other duties and/or leads other projects as assigned; occasional travel may be required.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/605033000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.