The attorney in this position will provide legal support to the Office of the Assistant General Counsel (Banking and Finance) in advising the General Counsel, Chief Recovery Officer, Under Secretary for Domestic Finance, and other Treasury officials on work related to Treasury domestic finance programs and initiatives, which may include coronavirus relief programs, financial regulation, and other issues.Learn more about this agency
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-15. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
- This position is in the Office of the Assistant General Counsel (Banking and Finance), which is a component of the Treasury Department’s Office of the General Counsel. The attorneys in the Office of the Assistant General Counsel (Banking and Finance) provide legal advice and support to Treasury officials and staff on the full range of Treasury domestic finance initiatives and responsibilities, including coronavirus relief programs and activities under the CARES Act, Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, and American Rescue Plan Act; financial services regulation; capital markets regulation; insurance regulation; electronic payment regulation; consumer financial protection; cybersecurity; housing finance and government-sponsored enterprises; the Financial Stability Oversight Council; government and corporate financial transactions; federal debt management, including the public debt limit; federal credit programs; and Treasury's financing of the operations of the U.S. Government.
- Under the supervision of the Assistant General Counsel (Banking & Finance) and the Deputy Assistant General Counsels, the attorney in this position will advise on legal matters related to the office’s responsibilities described above, including the economic relief programs related to the coronavirus pandemic. The attorney in this position will initially work with more senior attorneys in executing assignments of a high level of complexity and responsibility, including legal, factual, and policy questions that are of interest to senior Treasury officials.
- The attorney in this position will conduct legal research and analysis, and draft regulations, guidance, memoranda, legislative proposals, briefing materials, and other documents relating to difficult and complex matters considered by the Office of the General Counsel. The attorney will provide written and oral legal advice regarding novel legal questions. The attorney will also engage with representatives of other state and federal agencies, Congress, and other stakeholders on matters relating to the recovery programs, and be responsible for other duties as assigned.
- The ideal candidate will have experience working on complex matters with tight deadlines; the ability to conduct fast and accurate legal research; and be skilled at working with and presenting views to senior lawyers and policymakers. The ideal candidate will also have familiarity with the law regarding one or more of financial services regulation (such as the regulation of banks, insurance, capital markets, financial market utilities, consumer financial protection, or electronic payments); housing finance; government or corporate financial transactions; or climate-related financial risks.
- The Office of the Assistant General Counsel (Banking and Finance) has a collegial and fast-paced work environment. We are committed to attracting and retaining candidates with diverse backgrounds and experience, and with first-rate professional and academic credentials. We seek lawyers who possess a strong work ethic; approach their work with cooperation, dedication, and integrity; and demonstrate genuine interest in the mission of the Treasury Department. Treasury lawyers must inspire confidence through substantive excellence, effective oral and written communication, critical analysis, and the use of good judgment. We look for lawyers with strong interpersonal skills and who are adept at building positive relationships with clients and colleagues.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/603930400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.