This position is located in the Operations Directorate, Deputy Comptroller (Program/Budget), Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) (USD(C)).Learn more about this agency
The USD(C) is responsible for carrying out the functions assigned by Section 135 of Title 10, United States Code, and ensuring the utmost economy and efficiency in the operations of the Department of Defense through solid management practices, sound policies informed by fiscal realities, and effective fiscal planning and control.
- Provides direction for execution of uniform DoD policies, principles, and procedures for disaster assistance and special contingency appropriations and authorities.
- Provides advice and decision support on international and interagency matters with financial implications.
- Reviews and analyzes extremely complex and critical DoD programs and applies comprehensive knowledge of budget policy and procedures of the Department so that individual programs are evaluated relative to overall Defense funding constraints to optimize use of Defense and national resources.
- Evaluates DoD funding requirements based on strategic military plans and U.S. foreign policy objectives, and applies judgment on availability of DoD force levels, equipment, consumables, and security and other assistance to or from partner nations.
- Formulates and recommends short and long-range budgetary plans to address war- or contingency-related, disaster assistance-related, and security cooperation- related requirements and building partnership capacity priorities, taking into account State Department and interagency authorities and budgets in support of national goals.
- Formulates, by fiscal year, specific policies and basic assumptions directly applicable to the compilation and presentation of budgetary requirements for all phases and portions of assigned responsibilities.
- Reviews and, as appropriate, raises Comptroller issues during the Program and Budget Review particularly for DoD programs that support contingency operations, disaster assistance, international security cooperation, partner nation participation in support of U.S. military operations, mil-to-mil engagements and civ-mil plans, and other programs related to building partner nation capacity.
- Supports the review and evaluation of budget estimates, including estimates for supplemental bills and budget amendments. Develops supplemental bills and budget amendments when necessary.
- Leads the preparation of written recommendations for presentation to the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller), and other leadership as required.
- Maintains direct contact with top officials of the Military Departments, budget officers at the operating levels, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Policy) and Joint Staff officials, resource managers in other Federal agencies, as well as staffs from the Office of Management and Budget (0MB) and National Security Council (NSC) in order to ensure constant familiarity with programs related to national security.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/603828500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.