The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has an immediate need to employ residents of Charleston, West Virginia as temporary local hires to assist with disaster response and recovery efforts. Local hire employees are local residents who aid in the recovery of the community and help their fellow citizens in the recovery process. Apply for this exciting opportunity!Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
Local Hire employees:
- Help FEMA respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards by performing a variety of emergency management functions which are not limited to disaster survivor assistance, conducting and verifying damage assessments, and providing administrative, financial and logistical support.
- A local hire’s term of employment is 120 days. Local Hire appointments may be extended, in 120 day increments, for a maximum 365 day appointment, based on the needs of the disaster.
- Work within 23 different Cadres which are groups of personnel organized by operational function and FEMA Qualification System (FQS) position.
- Each Local Hire is hired to a position within a Cadre based on his or her skills and experience.
FEMA is seeking candidates with experience in delivering Public Assistance grant funding.This position may require you to work in a virtual environment. If selected you will be required to complete a Telework Application and Agreement; and the Employee Self Certification and Health List, as well as completion of telework training.
In this position, you will report to the Public Assistance Program Delivery Task Force Lead and serve as the primary point of contact for the applicant.
- Tracking and communicating the progress of all projects through the entire program delivery model in coordination with the Applicant.
- Engaging program offices as soon as potential opportunities or concerns arise.
- Discussing potential Hazard Mitigation opportunities with the Applicant.
- Hosting key information meetings ensuring recovery priorities and program eligibility requirements are communicated.
- Gathering all required documentation to enable FEMA to write grants so the applicant can be returned to their Pre-Disaster condition as soon as possible.
- Facilitating the delivery of Public Assistance grant funding on behalf of Applicants; this includes (but is not limited to) developing the list of damaged sites, scheduling site inspections, summarizing applicant damages, and coordinating requests for information and questions.
- Working with the applicants to resolve their program related needs ensuring projects are processed as efficiently and expeditiously as possible.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/603111600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.