This position is within the Office of Research and Data.Learn more about this agency
ABOUT THE OFFICE OF RESEARCH AND DATA (ORD)
ORD is the largest unit in the Commission, with approximately 45 employees. ORD staff collect data from sentencing documents which are submitted electronically by federal courts around the country. ORD staff provide statistical analyses to the Commissioners about the nature and extent of federal crime, the people who commit those crimes, and how the federal sentencing guidelines are applied in criminal cases. ORD's analyses are a key part of the Commission's decision-making process about changes to the guidelines. ORD analyses are also used in various publicly available publications such as the Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, quarterly sentencing data reports, Quick Facts, and various reports to Congress.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Data Warehouse Specialist will have a blend of skills related to extracting data from a data warehouse, data wrangling, feature engineering, and data analysis. The incumbent will assist research staff with extracting and/or restructuring data files for analysis, creating descriptive reports, and conducting data analysis. The candidate will develop expertise in the data elements utilized for analysis, how to extract those elements from the data warehouse, and provide analytical support as needed. The incumbent will create descriptive reports (e.g., district sentencing trend reports) and may assist with policy analysis, congressional research projects, or special data requests from Commissioners, federal judges and probation officers, and other federal agencies.
The incumbent will work with research staff to:
- Extract analytical files from the Oracle data warehouse.
- Train ORD staff on data extraction and programming.
- Assist with feature engineering in the data warehouse.
- Merge and wrangle data from other federal agencies or from special USSC data collections.
- Review existing data for errors and clean data.
- Create automated reports.
- Create descriptive reports (e.g., district sentencing trend reports)
- Review/verify any data changes/updates to the Commission's Interactive Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics (ISB) public website.
- Conduct descriptive analyses on defendants sentenced pursuant to the federal sentencing guidelines, responding to special requests from Commissioners, Congress, the courts, and others, as directed.
- Assist in the design and development of tables and figures for use in special requests, presentations, and Commission reports.
- Compile, organize, and document research-related datafiles and assist in the preparation of datafile documentation, statistical tables, and graphic displays and presentations.
- Analyze quantitative data and contribute to published reports.
- Learn and implement new technology to enhance ORD capabilities.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/601749500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.