The Office of Odometer Fraud Investigation operates programs at the regional level to assure the appropriateness and timeliness of required assistance rendered to consumers, and other interested parties on regulatory compliance matters relating to Enforcement programs such as safety defects, recalls, standards compliance, and the importation of foreign vehicles.Learn more about this agency
- Serves as the principal federal official in providing national leadership and direction to the 50 States in developing, implementing, coordinating, and executing vigorous enforcement strategies, concurrent investigations, and policies and procedures aimed at significantly reducing or eliminating odometer tampering and motor vehicle title fraud throughout the Nation while adopting e-odometer disclosure methodologies supporting interstate commerce.
- Ensures the development of a staff capable of properly conducting and completing administrative, civil, and/or criminal investigations relating to odometer fraud, title fraud, and salvage fraud.
- Participates to the extent required in the conduct of such investigations, serves as the principal consultant, and coordinates the progress and results of such compliance efforts with the Associate Administrator for Enforcement, NHTSA Chief Counsel, U.S. Attorneys, and other senior federal and state officials as appropriate. Establishes Office policy consistent with U.S. Department of Transportation Office of Inspector General procedures and practices.
- Serves as an expert as it relates to the knowledge of administrative, civil, and criminal investigative policies and guidelines and the utilization and application of investigative methods, procedures and techniques, develops, maintains and operates a broad program for the development of staff expertise in the conduct of assigned odometer fraud investigations and encourages formal training of the staff in the required investigative skills.
- Provides National leadership and serves as the principal advisor and consultant to the Associate Administrator for Enforcement and other executive level officials, internal as well as external to NHTSA, on matters relating to e-odometer disclosure, electronic odometer tampering and vehicle cybersecurity, legal interpretations concerning odometer matters, and nationwide enforcement efforts taken relative to the pursuit of odometer fraud and its public safety and economic implications.
The Ideal Candidate Statement: NHTSA is looking for an experienced Investigator with who is an emotional intelligent results-driven manager that has extensive experience dealing with the federal odometer statutes and regulations, extensive experience with successful odometer fraud enforcement activities, and extensive experience engaging external stakeholders. The ideal candidate should have experience using NHTSA’s administrative authority to combat odometer fraud. Knowledgeable concerning odometer systems in modern vehicles, the methods used to manipulate these systems, and investigative techniques used to identify and document manipulated systems is a plus.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/601606500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.