Serves as the Human Research Program (HRP) Chief Scientist providing science leadership and expertise at the highest level within HRP, including providing scientific guidance and oversight for a broad biomedical research and technology development program directed toward the understanding of the effects of exploration spaceflight beyond low-Earth orbit on human health and performance.Learn more about this agency
**Amended closing date to 6/4/21**
The Chief Scientist Human Research Program will:
- Serve as a key member of the HRP senior management team, and specializes in guiding science policies and recommending innovative research and technology investment strategies to achieve program objectives.
- Responsible for maintaining the scientific integrity of the Program, ensuring appropriate balance among disciplines, scientific community, review panels, and oversight groups, and providing scientific guidance/input to the Program Director concerning budgetary requirements and funding priorities.
- Serve as the primary Program advocate for science, representing program research within and external to NASA, interfacing with Agency, Program and Center Chief Scientists, external domestic and international scientists and partners to develop and ensure effective coordination and execution of joint research activities.
- Guide development of the highly visible Program research portfolio, ensuring overall balance across elements, adequacy of planned research, appropriate utilization of ground and space-based platforms, spaceflight responses and risks, and appropriate research prioritization.
- Oversee external reviews of scientific content and merit of the Program from peer review of individual proposals through National Academy reviews of overall Programmatic content.
- Establish data and specimen policies, advocating for adequate funding for data sharing, processing and analysis, as appropriate, to encourage and facilitate broad scientific access to NASA data and specimens, assuring timely release of data, publicity for and publication of results.
- Lead HRP Chief Scientists Office personnel, and directs activities, approaches, and processes carried out by science portfolio scientists and their subordinates.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/601512400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.